New Ellis 9400 Drill Press received.

If you guys like these drill presses, you’re gonna LOVE your Bridgeport.

I have a heavy duty Powermatic drill press that I rarely use, the mill being so much better.
I have a 20" Wilton next to my Bport. If a hole doesn't need xx/1000 locating, it goes to the drill press!

If a hole doesn't need xx/1000 locating, it goes to the drill press!
i find it fast and easy whether or not high precision is needed. With a DRO, you can run a string of evenly spaced holes way faster than laying them out by hand. And for holes in the 4 corners, it’s not even close, getting them perfectly positioned in X and Y.

And I have a way superior vise on the mill, even though there is a good clamping system and fence on the drill press.

But, to each our own. :)

With a DRO, you can run a string of evenly spaced holes way faster than laying them out by hand. And for holes in the 4 corners, it’s not even close, getting them perfectly positioned in X and Y.
This falls into the xx/1000 category.
And I have a way superior vise on the mill, even though there is a good clamping system and fence on the drill press.
I have a 6" Palmgrin vise with stepped jaws and a speed handle on the DP. Its mounted on piece of 1/4" plate with slots perpendicular to the table slots, big T-bolts make it easy and fast to position. Full set of annular cutters with coolant fed arbor will quickly drill the holes that don't need to be precise. My old Wilton is a 650 lb workhorse that still earns it's keep almost every day.

I have the advantage of not enough space, thereby limiting myself to either a mill or drill press. The mill won.

I couldn't resist adding a vintage Craftsman with engine turned trim to my stable... it got a lot more use after I swapped down to a 900 rpm three phase motor to bring low speed into "metal" territory. A vise-grip like clampy widget and a vise let me lock parts into the right place quickly.
As a bonus, it doesnt need the spindle oil sacrifice ritual my Rockwell wants;-)

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Back