jlsmithseven

Registered
Registered
Hi
Just joined the forum today! Looks like a great place to find and give information regarding CNC and manual lathes and mills.
I'm in my 2nd semester at a Technical School right now. We learned the basics of each machine. Our first project this semester is a thread bar made on the manual lathe.

Can I start with that? I've been having a slight issue lately. I've noticed I am using a #4 center drill to drill holes for my dead and live centers. Before I think I was using a #2 or #3. I have to go all the way up on my #4 just to make sure there's clearance at the back of the center drill for my dead center. Is there any sort of way to measure this so I don't have to make my center drill hole so large, yet still not touch the back of the inside? Thank you!
Justin

Thank you. Does anyone know any good beginner videos on YouTube that I can subscribe to? Someone who describes the processes of external threading, etc.

Does this help
http://www.carbidedepot.com/formulas-centerdrills.htm

Sent from my SM-T377V using Tapatalk

It certainly doesn't hurt. That's a cool chart. Now that I have that information, how can I measure my dead center point to make sure it doesn't hit inside my center drilled hole? Obviously it's a 60 degree angle of course. This seems simple but I don't know how!! Thanks for the help!

Standard center drills are manufactured so that the center of a live or dead center will not encounter the end of the drilled hole.

Hi Justin. Watch anything by Tubal Cain.

Thanks I have been watching Tubal Cain's videos. They've helped a lot. Just wanted to see what else was out there. I realize that standard center drills are made this way. Most people tell me to take 2/3 of the way up the cutting edge on the center drill, is this correct or should I go all the way to the end of the grooves.

Not to the end of the tapered section, or the centre will ride on the end of the centre drilling instead of the 60* taper - approach full depth of the 60*, a deeper centre will take greater loads so if you're going to be making heavy cuts use a larger centre drill where possible. Lots of lubrication, too, unless you're using a revolving (ball-bearing) centre!

And welcome!

Dave H. (the other one)

Back