New G0704 on the way, sorry HF.

24more

Active User
Registered
I ordered a 44991 from HF, they told me it was backordered til March 8. On March 8th I called and they said maybe sometime in April. I told them to cancel the order and was going to order an X2 clone from Grizzly. After playing on Grizzlys site I jokingly asked the finance manager (wife) for an extra $800 and she said go for it. What would have been a nother order for a small lathe from HF turned into a G0704 from Grizzly. Hopefully it will do the trick. I have no real plans but I like to tinker. I'm in the process of building a 2'x4' cnc router. This should make several parts a lot easier. I need a cheap vise for now til I can buy a decent one. I was thinking a shars 4", anyone got one? Will it work for awhile? Can' afford a good one right now.

I just received my G0704 a couple of weeks ago. I had the same vise question. Looked around a bit and settled on the Enco 4" vise. It seems to be an appropriate size for the mill.

404-1627 4" JAW W/SWIVEL BASE TITE-LOCK PREC MILL VISE 1 $103.15

Seems OK so far. Fit and finish was pretty good, and it measures pretty square. The screw thread isn't ACME if that is important. There were two reasons that I bought the Enco rather than the Shars (they appear to seem to be very similar). I was ordering some other stuff from Enco, and I had a free shipping coupon. Makes a difference with a vise!! Enco has free shipping on orders over $49 through the end of march with code VIPFREE.

Hmmm, Something fishy going on there. Myself and a guy I know from another forum both ordered HF 44991 on 1/30/13 (last day of 20% coupon) We were both told it would ship mid March. On March 7th I got shipping notice with tracking number. The other guy got same info on the 8th. Mine is due to be delivered day after tomorrow (thursday 3/14)

Dear XXXX

Thank you for ordering from Harbor Freight Tools.
Your order # 5069866 was shipped today and should be arriving soon.
When tracking your order, please note that the tracking information may not be updated immediately.

The following item(s) were shipped:

--------------------
Carton #: 6811177 Ship Date: 2013-03-07 Shipped By: FedEx CA Tracking #: 9612019599281968111xxx
Item # Qty Description
449911MILLING/DRILLING MINI VERTICAL

I have the Shars 4" vice from ebay:

( http://www.ebay.com/itm/SHARS-4x4-1...0?pt=BI_Tool_Work_Holding&hash=item4d0047d888 )

I'm happy with it, but I did cut the ball end of the handle off as it got in my way, and I surely didn't need it to tighten the vise properly. It's working out well and it gets about 20 hours a week and I've had it for about 6 months now.

SharsVise (3).JPG

I added a stop and cut off the back of the trough to give me more clearance, as you can see.

S6300012.JPG
S6300010.JPG

Thanks,
Dave

S6300010.JPG S6300012.JPG SharsVise (3).JPG

I'm gonna have to shot for a cheaper one for awhile. I will end up with a decent one but not now. UPS comes Thursday.

I agree, Jack, the Glacern is nice looking vise, and it's good to know that you're happy with it as it may be a nice upgrade for me someday.

Thanks for chiming on that one,
Dave

Yeah, Dave.
Sometimes you can catch Glacern products on Ebay new. I have Glacern's facemill and I use it a lot.
Jack

BTW- 24
Congrats on the 704. You'll really like it and there's lots of upgrade stuff to do. If you haven't gone to Hoos's site -do so. http://www.g0704.com/ I have DroBros dro on mine. makes things really fast.
good luck and have fun.
Jack

I have the 0704 and the glacern 4" also and like it a lot. I have 6 kurt vices for my bigger mills and feel that the glacern is just as accurate. dont know if it will pass the test of time though. two of my kurts are over 20 and work like new.

Back