New guy here with a couple questions

ghack

Registered
Registered
What do you all do with your old cutters that are past a resharp. seems such a waste to throw them in the scrap bin. And does any one have a list of common steel parts and what alloy they are made of? Like tie rods from cars, or spindals, rail road rail ect. Looking for what i can make out of what material.

Just what is a cutter that is beyond resharpening? I have used old or even broken end mills and drill bits to grind a lathe cutter out of, and lathe cutters can be resharpened until it to short to mount in the holder. I have even turned really bad 2 flute end mills into a single flute with a special form shape for a special project. This means there is nothing much left for the scrap bin.

Last edited:
I just dumped about 15lbs worth of end mills in the scrap bin and wondered the same thing.
Joe

Joe
Go rescue them.......

Just what is a cutter that is beyond resharpening? I have used old or even broken end mills and drill bits to grind a lathe cutter out of, and lathe cutters can be resharpened until it to short to mount in the holder. I have even turned really bad 2 flute end mills into a single flute with a special form shape for a special project. This means there is nothing much left for the scrap bin.
Thats is exactly what i wanted to hear. I cant stand throwing stuff out. mostly cause i dont have any money or way to by new stuff. lol

Back in the day, BC (before computers) I did some carpentry work as a sort of sideline. The fellow I worked with(for?) was big on pressure treated decks. When I started a job, I would buy a WalMart special (cheap!) circular saw. Usually less than $40. And a pack or two of, again-cheap, blades, six to a pack. By the time a job was finished, the saw bearings would be at or approaching worn out. I would offer the saw to the customer. If they didn't want it,(quite often) I would take the saw and the old blades home.

A carbide tipped blade cuts fine until a few of the tips break off. Then they were used for rough work and "old work" where I would cut old lumber or might hit a nail. When a few more tips broke off and I could cut a board faster with a torch, I would grab one of the old saws, put the blade on backwards, and use it to cut sheet metal, usually roofing. Heavy commercial grade stuff, not the Home Depot special that is one step above aluminum foil. By the time a blade was beyond that sort of work, I would cut it down with a torch and make a blade for wife's sidewalk edger. Of course, that didn't last very long. So I would cut it down again and make a 5/8 inch fender washer and hang it on a nail in the barn. Ya never know when one will come in handy.

The whole point here is that nothing is ever thrown away. Even the kitchen garbage is composted. A milling cutter breaks off too far up to be resharpened. That leaves a tool steel pin a couple of inches long. If nothing else, it might become a pin for my tractor. Or a bearing hub. Or . . .

For a hobby guy tool bits last a long, long time. I doubt that I will ever wear out the ones I have. After each use I give them a light touch up with the hone and they are good to go the next time I need it.

Welcome to the group @ghack !

I am currently saving all my old HSS end mills and actually bought a box of used assorted ones.......I can't wait until I can finally finish my Darex E90 sharpener and put it to work......

-brino

Back