New guy here

Zooman

Registered
Registered
Hey guys, we bought a place in Cameron and the previous owner left a Southbend metal lathe. I’m trying to decide whether to sell it or leave it in the corner. I restore pinballs and don’t know of any parts that i would need to make. So, I’m looking for ideas. Here’s the beast.

80898F11-1F60-43F0-9DE5-03E0C3D92332.jpeg

627FB034-B5F1-443B-98C9-03B6C80AFD6F.jpeg

7BA1C7B4-5E3E-4B8A-8070-775B9E774C96.jpeg

68D15581-8D9F-4ABB-8A02-145376B44457.jpeg

A97AC8D0-792B-4AF1-B337-76FBD56E404B.jpeg

EEEE735B-BE1A-4A64-A0F3-8F887325829F.jpeg

Nice old machine with new motor.....is that an actual Baldor motor? Really nice!

Hard to tell the condition of the lathe ways to give a value estimate.
Nice to see the original cabinet and legs.
Some people will put it down due to lack of Quick-Change Gear Box (QCGB), meaning that you need to manually re-arrange gears to select feeds.

If you do decide to sell then "extras" like chucks, gears, steady rest will add value.

Me? I would lube it and test it.
Start playing with it and I bet you could find some uses for it.

-brino

Nice old machine with new motor.....is that an actual Baldor motor? Really nice!

Hard to tell the condition of the lathe ways to give a value estimate.
Nice to see the original cabinet and legs.
Some people will put it down due to lack of Quick-Change Gear Box (QCGB), meaning that you need to manually re-arrange gears to select feeds.

If you do decide to sell then "extras" like chucks, gears, steady rest will add value.

Me? I would lube it and test it.
Start playing with it and I bet you could find some uses for it.

-brino

Thanks Brino,
It is a Baldor motor.
The guy that left it had Studebakers and Hudsons so i think he was machining parts for his cars. As a matter of fact he has the only 2 Hudsons I ‘ve ever seen running.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks to be missing all the end gearing except for a monster . Do you know what size it is ? You could probably part it out for a good chunk of change.

Looks to be missing all the end gearing except for a monster . Do you know what size it is ? You could probably part it out for a good chunk of change.
How do I find out the size?

Measure from center of spindle chuck to the bed way , x2 , if it measures 6-1/2” it is a 13” . Is there any tags or info plate on it ?.

Measure from center of spindle chuck to the bed way , x2 , if it measures 6-1/2” it is a 13” . Is there any tags or info plate on it ?.
Would that be from the chuck and measure doen into the valley, or measure across.

First closest contact from center of chuck/spindle, and don’t use back gears to remove chuck.

Back