New guy here

The swing is the maximum size of material which can be turned so it is between the centre of the chuck and the first point of contact on the bed ways as dlane stated.

A Southbend lathe should have a serial number stamped into the flat part of the bed ways at the tailstock end. This is a code in addition to a number.

Southbend serial numbers at WS Wells site

Yes the round thing with the square hole plugs in it ( the chuck) if you can turn the square hole the “jaws” (3bars on the end of it) should move in or out, mesure the center of the jaws when closed to the closest metal rail ( bed way) ,
That measurement is half the swing of the lathe.

I agree with Brino. Clean it up and give it a go,maybe you fall in love and have a chipping afair:adore:

Make a guard around those exposed gears, ouch if anything gets jammed or caught . Bones and skin break painfully. Welcome to the site good luck with a great old lathe. Be safe PLEASE

Nice! Welcome & get her going. I think you'll enjoy it once you get started.

Hey guys, had to make a trip down to Houston to deliver some old pinballs I just finished up. I’ll be back in a few days and get you some answers to my questions

Yes the round thing with the square hole plugs in it ( the chuck) if you can turn the square hole the “jaws” (3bars on the end of it) should move in or out, mesure the center of the jaws when closed to the closest metal rail ( bed way) ,
That measurement is half the swing of the lathe.

That appears to be a pretty old South Bend. I did not know they made lathes that large without a gearbox for threading/feeding. See if you can find and post the serial number, which should be stamped in the low space between the front carriage way and the front tailstock way, at the far right end of the bed.

Back