New Guy Trying To Get Atlas 618 Rolling

carguytroy

Registered
Registered
Hello there. I bought a new to me Atlas 618 lathe and need a few parts to get it useable. It's missing a chuck, a motor switch, belts, and cutting tools to start with. The machine looks good, but then again, I know zero about these. Only lathe I've ever used is a brake lathe when I worked at an auto parts store as a kid. I have questions.

What is the difference between these two kits or rather which one should I get?

What size chuck do these take? I see 4" and 6"? Any suggestions on what chuck to purchase?
It did have one belt on it that was a tad chewed up so I cut it off, but I did keep it to match up. I know it sizing will matter where I mount the engagement thing at. I see these link type belts in videos. Are they the thing to get or should I stick with fractional HP belts like lawn equipment etc. use?

I've been watching eBay for a chuck but don't really know what I'm looking at and I thought maybe a new one from little machine shop or my machine shop would at least get me moving. And switch wise I have no idea what to use for the motor that's with it. Here's few pics of the lathe and the motor. Any and all help is greatly appreciated. And if you see anything in the pics that look odd or out of whack let me know.
IMG_0804.jpegIMG_0805.jpegIMG_0806.jpegIMG_0807.jpegIMG_0808.jpegIMG_0809.jpegIMG_0810.jpegIMG_0811.jpegIMG_0812.jpegIMG_0813.jpegIMG_0814.jpeg

Welcome to the site. Most people here will tell you to skip the carbide tooling and use High speed steel tools. I am not sure about the chuck but I think the 6" will be too big. I am sure some else will chime in.

A 6" chuck is too big for a 6 x 18 lathe. A 4" 3 jaw chuck was standard on the lathe. The OEM chuck was a 1 piece chuck which resulted ing beng closer to the headstock, therefore more rigid, Most replacement chucks will require a separate backplate. The spindle, at least on mine, was a 1"-10 tpi thread that you will have to match.

The OEM 4 jaw chuck was also 4" while the faceplate was 5".

Difference between the two Little Machine Shop kits = difference in the Morse Taper size arbor supplied for the drill chuck for use in the tail stock. Read the information in the <Description> tab carefully then select the correct kit:

**Most Atlas/Craftsman lathes have #1 Morse taper tailstock, but some have a #0 Morse taper tailstock. If you have a #0 Morse taper tailstock please tell us in the Special Instructions box so we can send the appropriate arbor. The big end (measure the hole) of a #0 Morse taper is 0.356", which the big end of a #1 Morse taper is 0.475".

Hi , glad you joined . Another nice thing about the 618 , the spindle nose has a #2 Morse taper . It is inexpensive and easy to make a collet set up .
Mark .

Welcome to the forum. There are a lot of really knowledgeable people on here that will answer all of your questions. We are a friendly bunch. Don't be afraid to ask any question no matter how simple you think it is.

What else came with the lathe? Any change gears? Post pictures of everything you got with the lathe so we know what you have.

Forget about carbide tool bits. High speed steel (HSS) IMHO is best for your lathe. Read @mikey's excellent thread on grinding HSS tool bits. The basics are on page 11. https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/models-for-grinding-hss-lathe-tools.62111/page-11

Measure the threads on the spindle. I believe that the 618 came with two different spindle threads. I would get a 4" 3 jaw chuck to start with. Then a 4 jaw chuck.

What is your budget? If money is no problem then we will help you spend it faster than a drunken sailor on a 24 hour shore leave. If you are on a limited budget only buy what you need for the task at hand. I see you have a lantern tool post. It will get you by as you gain more experience. I was on a very limited budget when I got my lathe and was an absolutely clueless newbie at using a lathe. Didn't want to spend the big $$$ for a commercial Quick Change Tool Post (QCTP). Stumbled upon the Norman style QCTP while cruising the web. So I decided to make one. https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/norman-style-qctp.79705/ It was a faction of the cost of a commercial QCTP and I gained lots of experience in using my lathe. A lot of forum members have made them. A good easy first project.

IMHO Mr Pete aka tubalcain is the best of the best on the web for learning how to use a lathe. He is a retired high school shop teacher and knows how to teach. There are others that can help with fine points and tricks of the trade after you gain some experience. https://www.youtube.com/c/mrpete222/videos

You can use an ordinary household light switch in a conduit box if you just want on/off.
If you want a reversing motor you will need a drum switch- ask here for purchasing advice
before ordering- there are several types

Regarding the LMS assortments: Your tailstock is a #1 Morse taper, not #0. Specify that if you do order it. The #0 was used
on the 109 series lathes.
The boring bar set may need sharpening before use- unfortunately carbide requires a special grinding wheel

Atlas NOS 4" chucks are sometimes available on Ebay- your spindle nose is 1" x 10 tpi
You can also purchase an inexpensive import chuck and backplate but it requires some finish machining
Pratt-Burnerd makes excellent chucks but they cost $$$

Last edited:
IMG_0949.jpeg

This is everything that came with it. Extra gears, a drill chuck that fits in the head stock, a couple of centers(?), and a couple of other things. I took the tail piece off just to clean it. Bearings seem to be good, no play in the main shaft. I was thinking taking it apart and putting new bearings in it, but I don't think it needs them. Also thought I would like to grab a milling attachment if one came up reasonably priced. Money wise it looks like I'm going to spend a 1000.00 or so on parts, chuck, etc. which is fine. Just want to get it set up so I can start using it. Space is somewhat limited because I have a lot of tools etc. I'm restoring a car so it would be nice to have it up and running to make odds and ends as needed. Switch wise I would like to do the drum type switch. Not sure if if necessary to reverse direction, but the option to do so would be good.

1K for tooling ? Now that is properly financed . One thing about running in reverse , It will spin the chuck off . What kind of car ?

Back