New Guy Trying To Get Atlas 618 Rolling

The only two cases that come to mind that would usually actually require a drum switch would be cutting metric threads with the original inch-type lead screw and using a tool post grinder. And be advised that not all drum switches will work. with all motors. Also, as long as you never try to do any cutting in reverse, a properly mount/installed ed chuck will not come loose in reverse.

There is currently a 3 jaw and a 4 jaw chuck on Ebay with the 1"x10 tpi threads.

Money part is a guess to get it running. Chucks look to be a couple hundred or more, Quick change post kit and cutters a couple more hundred, milling attachment $?, just seemed like a good round number. If I can spend less I'm totally cool with that for sure. Current car torn apart is is 1967 Mustang convertible 390 car. I have a few projects that need attention, but that's the one I'm messing with now. Fun hobby. I like to take my time with them. Figured a little lathe would help with a few things.

A chuck is an absolutely must have. Byte the bullet and buy the 3 jaw chuck on Ebay. I think this one fits your lathe.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1452025559...vRfd2LBrhNidWP/9QWDzTMEiCF|tkp:Bk9SR8az14GxYg

I didn't see a chuck key in the pictures. Ask the seller about the missing chuck key. Not hard to make a chuck key if the chuck doesn't come with one.

Here is one from Shars. https://www.shars.com/4-3-jaw-self-centering-scroll-lathe-chucks-solid-jaws It needs a backing plate. https://www.shars.com/3-93-fully-ma...e-with-1-x-10-tpi-for-3-or-4-jaw-lathe-chucks

A 3 jaw chuck is easier to use than a 4 jaw when you are just starting out. And you need some HSS tool bits. I buy mine from Shars. I like 3/8 tool bits.

I used an Atlas/Craftsman 6x18 lathe for more than forty years.

While a lantern style tool holder is not as convenient to use a quick change tool post and not as rigid, the lantern style is more versatile. It would not be high on my list as a candidate for an upgrade. Regarding a milling attachment, IMO it isn't worth the bother. The work envelope is to small and you won't have the rigidity of a true milling machine. Go with HSS tooling to start and set up a decent grinder to grind your tool bits. The OEM lantern style tool holders use 1/4" tool bits. Even with a QCTP, I would still opt for 1/4" tool bits as they are less expensive and easier to grind and you won't really benifit from the greater rigidity of a larger tool bit on the 6x18. I often use 3/16" or 1/8" tool bits.

I bought some MT2 collets some while back and have never really used them. The bother isn't justified by any advantages.. Necessarily, the size of stock that can be worked is limited to less than 1/2". You also need to set up a drawbar to use them. For small work, a MT2 mounted three jaw chuck would be more convenient although you do need a drawbar to us one too. If runout on reworked parts is a concern, a four jaw chuck would be more useful.

In more than forty years, I have never had a chuck spin off when running in reverse. The lathe simply doesn't have enough torque to do so.

Purchased a chuck off eBay and one of the kits from little machine shop. I was looking at HSS tooling sets on Amazon.Wondering if that's a decent place to grab a starter type kit for those. I have a bench grinder and could probably do my own grinding if necessary other than I don't know where to buy the stock/blanks. Like I say, I'm totally new to all of this. Where do you guys get your stock to machine anyway? I know a Lowes/Home Depot have small supply of metal, but they are pretty pricey last I looked. I bought a piece of plate from Lowes, a small 12"x12" fairly thick plate for something I was doing on my shop press and it was $60.00. Used to be half that a couple of years ago. There is a steel place close to me but they mainly sell square tube type stuff for building trailers etc.

Also could use advice on what drum switch to buy for the motor in my pics. Need to get a couple of belts too, but have to get things mounted in place before I purchase them it looks like.

Last edited:
I get most of my stock to machine (round bar) from the bay . Also McMaster-Carr . This place seems pretty good https://www.onlinemetals.com/
While you are looking for a drum switch , you could just use a simple switch that only breaks one line . That is how my drill press is wired .
Mark .

Lots of places where you can buy HSS to grind tool bits. Ebay will have them that are already ground but will probably need some touch up. The last ones I bought came from Shars. You don't need very many to get started. A right hand tool bit, a knife tool bit. a threading tool bit and some boring bars. Unless you are using them every day all day long they will last a long time.

Back