New guy with a new lathe

I tried to contact Home Shop Supply by E- mail. After writing several times he answered and said the business was closed.

Old Iron thanks for the link to Deans. Good info.

Last edited:
thanks for that info i saw there websight and the yahoo group but didnt get any reply that is to bad they where a 109 group. oh well i will learn even more from you all :)):)):))

I really hate that he was a nice guy to deal with, I do know he was having some trouble with getting a machinist to make parts for him.

On ebay look at 109 lathes, sears 109, and DunLap there all the same.

Paul

i could swear that the 109 stuff i have been looking at was his i think the seller was the home suppy shop he had some great stuff on the web page. i was thinking about getting the mill attachment but it cost as much as the lathe. would you all sugest it?

Good luck with your new lathe. I had the opportunity to run one at a friend's shop. I believe it's the same model as yours. One thing to bear in mind is lubrication and maintenance. Before even running the lathe be sure to lube it well. What I have found helpful is once you get it running is to figure out how all the functions work and what all the levers and switches do. Play with the power feed to get a feel of the half nut engagement, work the travel on the cross feed and compound and don't forget the tail stock. I have on many occasions ran all the travel out of the tail stock thinking it had a little more travel than anticipating. This is evident when trying to drill the center out of something. Most of all, enjoy your new machine and you will develop a passion for working with metal.

And for a little off topic advise, make something needed by your spouse such as that missing knob for the lid on the frying pan cover or curtain rod ends for a finishing touch etc....This goes a long way when you eventually want to purchase instruments or more tooling... It gives you justification and a better argument for spending a few bucks and cuts down on begging.

Back