New Hobbyist with some TLC-required Machines

Just a tip. I did a complete tear down on a 12x36 lathe. I bought a couple hundred of those wire "toe tags" that you can write on and used them to mark each part with a part number. If you have a exploded parts diagram from a manual, this makes assembly after cleaning go from nearly-impossible to assemble to Lego kit levels of fun.

If for whatever reason you can't get a parts diagram, write on the tag all the parts that the part mated with. Much more difficult but a lot better than nothing.

Just a tip. I did a complete tear down on a 12x36 lathe. I bought a couple hundred of those wire "toe tags" that you can write on and used them to mark each part with a part number. If you have a exploded parts diagram from a manual, this makes assembly after cleaning go from nearly-impossible to assemble to Lego kit levels of fun.

If for whatever reason you can't get a parts diagram, write on the tag all the parts that the part mated with. Much more difficult but a lot better than nothing.

Good idea. I find I take more and more pictures of assemblies before tearing them down... this has been a huge aid! Take them from different angles too. You can even lay a scale or something else next to assemblies to give the picture some scale. Write down some measurements prior to tear down. Like, how far a gear is mounted from the end of a shaft or housing, etc.. Lay the disassembled parts out as you take things apart, in proper order/direction, and then take pictures and/or mark them as to which one goes where, in what order, facing which way.... you get the idea. ;)

A few "prior actions" can make re-assembly much easier and better!

Ted

Good idea. I find I take more and more pictures of assemblies before tearing them down... this has been a huge aid! Take them from different angles too. You can even lay a scale or something else next to assemblies to give the picture some scale. Write down some measurements prior to tear down. Like, how far a gear is mounted from the end of a shaft or housing, etc.. Lay the disassembled parts out as you take things apart, in proper order/direction, and then take pictures and/or mark them as to which one goes where, in what order, facing which way.... you get the idea. ;)

A few "prior actions" can make re-assembly much easier and better!

Ted

Oooohhh! forgot that one. I had several hundred pictures from working on the lathe. Whenever I got stuck, I looked back. Really hated myself when I forgot to get a good angle of something. Plus the pictures are good for H-M project logs :)

One of the more important areas of rehab is to find sober friends. Sorry, that's the other kind of rehab. Your one shot oiler system will most likely need complete disassembly, and all of the passages cleaned out, and oil lines replaced. This will entail removing the table, and saddle. At this point you might as well go through the entire machine. I found this to be a very good learning process, and you come out the other end with a well functioning machine, and a much better idea of every aspect of it's function. Welcome to the forum, and keep us posted on your progress. Cheers, Mike

I do something similar and also use clear shoebox size plastic bins and lids to hold all the small subassembly parts. I get them at the dollar store for well, a dollar :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome to the forum Ceej. You already fit right in. Very nice machine you have.

Roy

Eagle has landed. They're grungy, but I love a good project. Thankfully, everything is completely free except the BXA tool post. Tool holder is rusted to the dovetail, but I'll make quick work of that. The milling machine is actually in great shape aside from the surface rust. She needed a paint freshen-up about 10 years back and never got one.

The worst aspect of these machines is likely the lathe base. These were in the bowels of a food processing plant and it would appear that maybe they just sprayed down the floors to clean up and all that moister attacked the lower aspects of the lathe base. Big chips of rust breaking off near the leveling feet. I'll get that cleaned up and possibly reinforce with some fresh 3/8 plate if those pockets have been compromised.

Anyhow, I'm over the moon and ready to jump right in. Again, thanks for all the information in my very first post. You guys are awesome.

Back