New Lathe Bench

Since it's so slow in the Atlas forum at the moment, how about a project update? I moved the lathe to mark out the holes last night, and I'll take any advice before the smoke starts.

I figured that I'd simply drill and tap holes for the four feet so I can shim easily while everything is in place (or in the future) when the tool chests prevent access from below. But I figured I'd drill through-holes for the motor mounts because the mounting plate isn't all that thick. Seems like once in place, belt and motor adjustments can be made without disturbing the mounting bolts themselves for the most part. The manual mentions something like 1.5" between the foot of the lathe and the motor mount, but it doesn't seem critical, especially using the prior mounting pattern as a template. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on any of those points.

Getting there.
Lathe Move.jpg

I've got the holes marked out, but I made a paper template based on the holes in the desk that I'll use to check against what I've scratched in the bench.

Lathe Move2.jpg

I hope it ends up sturdy enough as is (at least for now), but additional stock added to the sides and back will be my on my mind if not. I just hope the chests go in without too much complaint. I ended up cutting things kinda close, and a little struggle might ensue...

Best,
Ryan

Lathe Move.jpg Lathe Move2.jpg

I have mixed emotions about chip pans. If you are using coolant you need them.
Otherwise I would like to make one that acts like a giant funnel that directs everything
directly into a small trashcan.

Makes cleanup very easy. Looks like you can do that on your bench.

That's a nice looking lathe you have there. I have the exact same model. I've owned mine for about 10 years, and I love it.

Is yours all original, or has it been restored? The paint job makes it look nearly new.

Nice job on your new bench.

Corm

Is yours all original, or has it been restored? The paint job makes it look nearly new.

Nice job on your new bench.

Corm
Thanks. The guy I got it from said he was the second owner and the first didn't use it much. It funny how much Craftsman stuff I end up noticing in my garage. Lathe, mic, shop vac, socket set, screwdrivers, etc., etc.

Anyhoo, here is the completed bench. I skipped the totally clean shot and got to work with it, and it seems to be solid so far...
Completed Lathe Bench.jpg

I do like having a drip pan, very much so.

8401140360_e4633ef148_b.jpg
Just another item of interest. I got this (matching) micrometer from my dad some years back. I guess Sears was the place for stuff back in the day.

Micrometer.jpg

Completed Lathe Bench.jpg Micrometer.jpg 8401140360_e4633ef148_b.jpg

I invested in a cheap set of transfer punches and have used them all the time. Great investment even if you only use them occasionally to be honest.

The lathe looks right at home on the bench, I like the contrast in colours.

Shawn

Thanks. I may have to make a few now that the lathe is back up and running. Drill rod ought to work, right? I've got a few sizes sitting around.

Looks good! Did it turn-out to be vibration free? I bet you had fun getting those boxes in there.

Ray

Looks good! Did it turn-out to be vibration free? I bet you had fun getting those boxes in there.

Ray

You're perceptive. I could have used another .25" of space but they just fit.

Rigidity seems okay so far, but I haven't done any real work yet or used more than one speed doing it. I'd really rather not do any more work on this thing at this time, so hopefully it will work out at least for the time-being.

-Ryan

That is a very nice looking bench your time was well spent on making it

Back