New Lathe Change Wheels Calculator

Only thing I am unsure of is module. I assume from others it is 1.5.
I put above a general formula to get the module of any (metric) gear that one can measure.
In general, the bigger the gears, the larger the module. 1.5 is reasonable for ours, small one would use 1 or 1.25

you would just need to maintain your domain.
I don't care about under which domain is hosted, it's in the public domain, and can be used on PC/mac/mobiles etc even without servers or the internet at all.

Last edited:
I ran into the smaller/larger wheel thing last night. I am curious. Why do none of the calculators match what is on my chart when I input those threads? Mine is a MX-210V, 56T Spindle, 2mm lead with 20 30 33 40 50 52 60 66 72 80 84 gears (Which I need to address soon, they will not align correctly). It threaded 1mm nicely.
The factory chart is good for some and way off for others. The 28tpi is like 30 tpi on the chart. 56/50 x 30/80=.042 x 2mm =.84 travel per chuck rotation. 25.4mm/.84=30.24tpi not even close to 28tpi. With a 56 tooth gear you could use 84:66 top 30:56 middle 52:spacer on lead screw.
56/84x66/56x30/52= .4532967 x 2mm=.90659341 travel per chuck rotation. 25.4/.90659341=28.016TPI

Last edited:
With a 56 tooth gear you could use 84:66 top 30:56 middle 52:spacer on lead screw.
But SGS doesn't have a 66T gear. So entering what he has we get the following for a 250mm lathe. Without knowing the full parameters it could be that some solutions don't fit, or aren't shown.

Screenshot_20220324-204001_Chrome.jpg

But SGS doesn't have a 66T gear. So entering what he has we get the following for a 250mm lathe. Without knowing the full parameters it could be that some solutions don't fit, or aren't shown.

View attachment 401635
He has 66, needs a 56. One can be 3d printed. Adding a 34T and 56T will cover most standard Imperial threads. Just don't disengage the leadscrew when cutting imperial. Stop back out and reverse.

He has 66, needs a 56. One can be 3d printed. Adding a 34T and 56T will cover most standard Imperial threads.
Right. What I was trying to convey with the calculator screenshot above is that SGS can accurately cut 20 TPI with gearset he already has. When the solution is printed in full black that means it is accurate to better that 0.01mm.
I have found the the factory gearset on this class of lathes is chosen so to cover perfectly the measure system to which the leadscrew belongs, and well enough the other one. The calculator shows the standard, and all the possible threads clicking on the buttons at the bottom of the page.

Last edited:
Right. What I was trying to convey with the calculator screenshot above is that SGS can accurately cut 20 TPI with gearset he already has. When the solution is printed in full black that means it is accurate to better that 0.01mm.
I have found the the factory gearset on this class of lathes is chosen so to cover perfectly the measure system to which the leadscrew belongs, and well enough the other one. The calculator shows the standard, and all the possible threads clicking on the buttons at the bottom of the page.
:encourage:

Wow, thats great!!! It will be fun to put the gears in for my PM-1236T lathe and see what other combinations it has!

Good morning. Sorry for the delay, I have been pretty swamped lately. I setup the page on a sub-domain for you. If you want to use your own personal domain, I am happy to set that up. I can get you FTP login info if you shoot me an email.

The page is:

https://jdm23.180v.com

Non SSL Link until I fix the cert: http://jdm23.180v.com/

I tried doing some threading but none of the options seemed to line up for me. I may be an idiot and doing them wrong lol....strong emphasis on may be. Using the chart below I assumed the First row are the outside gears so 66 on left and 80 on the right for the top shaft then the lower shaft has 33 on the left side and 40 on the right side and 40 is connected to 52.

Did I do that correctly?

I forgot to take any more measurements while I was at home but my specs are below in my attempt. What I did do in trial and error that miraculously did work was take my info from the side panel and use the metric 3mm and change the lead screw gear from 33 to 30. So upper left was 72 and right 60 middle left spacer and right 80 and lowest gear 30.

1648470465175.png

Last edited:
Thanks for that, but the one you posted an https (secure) link. Since your web server does not have a valid public certificate, any browser will present a warning and require extra steps to open the page, something which is not user friendly, so I suggest that you only post http (no s) links.

Using the chart below I assumed the First row are the outside gears so 66 on left and 80 on the right for the top shaft then the lower shaft has 33 on the left side and 40 on the right side and 40 is connected to 52. Did I do that correctly?

It depend on how the lathe is build. The solutions, as explained in my opening post, are given in a compact form, going in sequence of motion from the gear meshing to the spindle, to the one on the leadscrew. There is not left or right, or spacer information, that allows to support multiple types of lathes, but is different from the format used on the cover.
If you click on 'show wheels config' at the bottom of the calculator you should understand what I mean with the above.

I forgot to take any more measurements while I was at home
Without all the correct measurements entered the calculator will give solutions that can't be fitted, and hide others that would work fine, so it becomes of limited usefulness, and I don't recommend using it that way.

Last edited:
I will get the cert updated in a bit and put the non ssl link also. I will digest the above. I really appreciate it.

Back