New lathe cleaning

jonathan01

Active User
Registered
Hey, my lathe just came in. It is a PM 1340 with a taper attachment and dro. How much do I take it apart to clean it?

Thanks,
Jonathan

I would dissassemble it as far as you feel comfortable and try to remove 100% of the cosmoline they come packed it. When you re-assemble it take spedial care setting the gib and leveling it front to back and end to end. I am a lubeaholic, so I tend to over lube, but it wipes up easily on my steel topped bench too. When it gets home, get started and if you run into an issue someoe wil be able to get you back on track pretty quickly. Good luck and congrats on the new tool.
Bob

Ok, thanks. I will try to work on cleaning it this weekend. What oil should I coat the unpainted metal with after I clean cosmoline off. I just got it home and unloaded it out the truck last night. I will look at it more tonight and see how much I want to take it apart.

I would feel good if I can take it apart as much as possible without messing it up.

Thanks again,
Jonathan

Jonathan.
You will do just fine. This will also be an opportunity to get to know your new machine from the inside out. I use a hand squirt can and use 30 Wt non-detergent and diuche it down good. I try to keep a good film on the machine when I am not working with it to keep the surface rust to a minimum. If I miss a spot and get rust, I use tripple ought steel wool and oil to burnish it off without removing any material. For a solvent to cut the cosmoline I use good ole charcoal lighter fluid. Pleasant smell, not super flammable and evaporates some time after I am done using it, plus what I dont use can go in the BBQ for the nect cook out too. An Charcoal lighter is relatively inexpensive. Enjoy your new machine and dont forget the pics as you go. They will be a great diss and re-assembly tool if you take really detailed pics too. There are special ways lube and they are great for te task, but good ole 30wt works as well and is cheaper.
Bob

Thanks, I think getting to know the machine insideout will be the most important part of cleaning the lathe.

my thoughts on cleaning my new lathe are to not remove the cosmoline off of the areas that were not painted and not in view. I live in florida with really high humidity and rust is a real problem so to keep the inside of the bed and out of site areas from rusting I plan on not doing a complete washdown but more of a cleaning with rags and a small brush on the visable and working areas.
i dont want it rusting up where i cant see it rusting
steve

my thoughts on cleaning my new lathe are to not remove the cosmoline off of the areas that were not painted and not in view. I live in florida with really high humidity and rust is a real problem so to keep the inside of the bed and out of site areas from rusting I plan on not doing a complete washdown but more of a cleaning with rags and a small brush on the visable and working areas.
i dont want it rusting up where i cant see it rusting
steve

That makes sense. I will see about leaving it too on the areas that don't have a working function, and are not touched at anytime.

I live right by New orleans, so we have the high humidity too. We don't have all the salt air though in new orleans though, like areas right on the coast of the gulf does, so that helps some.

I have a question. Is that lathe brand new. meaning you are the first owner??? If so just go over it and make sure everything is smooth with no binding. I see no reason to take a new lathe apart till you find something wrong. Clean it and run it and then you will know what items need to be addressed.

"Billy G"

I have a question. Is that lathe brand new. meaning you are the first owner??? If so just go over it and make sure everything is smooth with no binding. I see no reason to take a new lathe apart till you find something wrong. Clean it and run it and then you will know what items need to be addressed.

"Billy G"

Yes, it is brand new, not even off the pallet yet. I have read somewhere before about checking under the compound slide in the pivot point. So, I want to at least do that, and clean up whatever I can do easily.

Thanks

Back