[4]

New Lathe finally here, and my first project DONE.

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

andgott

Registered
Registered
I just bought a new lathe- A PM1130. I replaced an old, worn out 9" atlas lathe with it. I bought the Atlas for $200- knowing it was old and tired, and played around with it to know that I'd enjoy working on a lathe. I didn't do much with it, because it was tough to get any kind of accuracy on it.

Last week, the new lathe came, and I got it up and running-
IMG_0144.jpg

After some cleanup, I got my first project done, a machinists jack-

IMG_0166.jpg

Nothing much, but it's a start. It's the first time I've really paid attention to being as close as possible to the dimensions on the plan (with the Atlas I often used a tape measure or ruler for dimensions, it was close enough :) ). I did fairly well.

I love the lathe so far. It's VERY quiet, has plenty of power, and is easy to get good accuracy with. It also has power cross feed, which I love.

Also- it has a quick change tool post. I absolutely LOVE that. So fast!

-Andrew

derf

Brass
Registered
Why the offset on your lathe stand?

andgott

Registered
Registered
Why the offset on your lathe stand?
Built to suit materials on hand. The little 'shelf' has proven to be quite handy, though.

MSD0

Registered
Congrats on the new machine. Is it the PM-1030V?

rock_breaker

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
Nice work on your jack, I bought one and crafted 3 more. IMHO these are not expensive tools but are real problem solvers if you have them. Enjoy your lathe and have a good day. There is a piece of plywood beyond tailstock that does what your shelf does, it is not the most convenient situation though.
Ray

andgott

Registered
Registered
Nice. I guess it’s a new model?
I believe so. It has similar specs to the 1127. A bigger machine overall than the 1027/1030, plus added VFD motor, 1 1/2"spindle bore, and d1-4 spindle mount.

I can't believe how quite and smooth it is running... Although all I have to compare it to is my old Atlas.

David S

Active User
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
Nicely done on the jack. I have made a couple but nothing near that nice. Looks very professional.

David

SonofHarold - Metal Carver

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
I like the offset on the stand/table actually. I want a Precision Mathews machine but just a little over my budget and a little large for my space available BUT I still want one!
PM is just a little more than a stones throw from where I live and I actually contacted Matt just to see if he might have a demo/showroom machine or a return etc he might let go for a discount. Unfortunaly ( or fortunatly?) No. For now I am resisting the urge to go visit PM.
Best wishes - enjoy!

andgott

Registered
Registered
I like the offset on the stand/table actually. I want a Precision Mathews machine but just a little over my budget and a little large for my space available BUT I still want one!
PM is just a little more than a stones throw from where I live and I actually contacted Matt just to see if he might have a demo/showroom machine or a return etc he might let go for a discount. Unfortunaly ( or fortunatly?) No. For now I am resisting the urge to go visit PM.
Best wishes - enjoy!
thanks. The stand has worked well- and has plenty of room for storing all my tools. So far I’ve really enjoyed this lathe, I’ve done a few larger projects now and haven’t had any problems. It’s a powerful machine. I am glad I spent the extra money on something larger than a mini lathe.

[6]
[5] [7]