• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • PLEASE SUPPORT OUR FORUM - UPGRADE YOUR ACCOUNT HERE!
[4]

New Lathe finally here, and my first project DONE.

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

andgott

Iron
Registered Member
I just bought a new lathe- A PM1130. I replaced an old, worn out 9" atlas lathe with it. I bought the Atlas for $200- knowing it was old and tired, and played around with it to know that I'd enjoy working on a lathe. I didn't do much with it, because it was tough to get any kind of accuracy on it.

Last week, the new lathe came, and I got it up and running-
IMG_0144.jpg

After some cleanup, I got my first project done, a machinists jack-

IMG_0166.jpg

Nothing much, but it's a start. It's the first time I've really paid attention to being as close as possible to the dimensions on the plan (with the Atlas I often used a tape measure or ruler for dimensions, it was close enough :) ). I did fairly well.

I love the lathe so far. It's VERY quiet, has plenty of power, and is easy to get good accuracy with. It also has power cross feed, which I love.

Also- it has a quick change tool post. I absolutely LOVE that. So fast!

-Andrew

rock_breaker

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
Nice work on your jack, I bought one and crafted 3 more. IMHO these are not expensive tools but are real problem solvers if you have them. Enjoy your lathe and have a good day. There is a piece of plywood beyond tailstock that does what your shelf does, it is not the most convenient situation though.
Ray

andgott

Iron
Registered Member
Nice. I guess it’s a new model?
I believe so. It has similar specs to the 1127. A bigger machine overall than the 1027/1030, plus added VFD motor, 1 1/2"spindle bore, and d1-4 spindle mount.

I can't believe how quite and smooth it is running... Although all I have to compare it to is my old Atlas.

David S

Active User
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
Nicely done on the jack. I have made a couple but nothing near that nice. Looks very professional.

David

SonofHarold - Metal Carver

Iron
Registered Member
I like the offset on the stand/table actually. I want a Precision Mathews machine but just a little over my budget and a little large for my space available BUT I still want one!
PM is just a little more than a stones throw from where I live and I actually contacted Matt just to see if he might have a demo/showroom machine or a return etc he might let go for a discount. Unfortunaly ( or fortunatly?) No. For now I am resisting the urge to go visit PM.
Best wishes - enjoy!

andgott

Iron
Registered Member
I like the offset on the stand/table actually. I want a Precision Mathews machine but just a little over my budget and a little large for my space available BUT I still want one!
PM is just a little more than a stones throw from where I live and I actually contacted Matt just to see if he might have a demo/showroom machine or a return etc he might let go for a discount. Unfortunaly ( or fortunatly?) No. For now I am resisting the urge to go visit PM.
Best wishes - enjoy!
thanks. The stand has worked well- and has plenty of room for storing all my tools. So far I’ve really enjoyed this lathe, I’ve done a few larger projects now and haven’t had any problems. It’s a powerful machine. I am glad I spent the extra money on something larger than a mini lathe.

[6]
[5] [7]