New lathe oil question

oogenshire

Registered
Registered
im shopping lathes right now. too many options out there in the 12-14 inch range and have a lot of thinking to do. but most of the gear head lathes reccomend iso 32 oil for the headstock. when i look for local sources for iso 32 oil i get hydraulic oil... is this the same thing?

ISO 32 is a number on a viscosity scale. There are some options, from insanely fancy oils to quite basic. In practice, yes, what you'd fill the headstock with is an R&O or AW hydraulic oil.

Oil, use the right spec and amount, change it regularly.

Folks get very particular about this subject and if you're one of those please look up the original specification of whatever machine you buy and follow the manufacturers recommendations (substituting modern alternatives when appropriate).

If you're like me, and I spent a lot of time building race engines, you'll be happy with a 5 gallon bucket of hydraulic oil from your local farm supply.

In the grand scheme our hobby usage is way, way less than any decent machine was built for and we take much better care of them than the factories that used them to build a nation.

Funny story, my daughter messaged me this morning because she had her car at the dealer for a recall and they wanted to sell her all kinds of preventative maintenance that was way above and beyond even what her owners manual recommended. One of the items was a clutch oil flush (her car is an automatic with hybrid powertrain). Yes, the manual said to flush this system, which apparently is used to engage and disengage the electric motor, every 22k miles. Really? Modern hydraulic fluid in a sealed system is going to go bad that quickly? WT.... I told her to just get the recall done and get the if out of there. In my job I maintain all kinds of equipment and have found that while maintenance is key for preventing failures it will not prevent every one. In my old business (outdoor power equipment sales & service) I told customers "maintenance is cheaper than repair and repair is usually cheaper than replacement, but nothing fixes just plain worn out".

So, my theory is if you want your machines to run for a long time you should use plenty of oil and change it whenever it looks bad, or maybe just every year. For me that's much easier to do with a $50 five gallon bucket than a $20 quart....

YMMV,

John

im shopping lathes right now. too many options out there in the 12-14 inch range and have a lot of thinking to do. but most of the gear head lathes reccomend iso 32 oil for the headstock. when i look for local sources for iso 32 oil i get hydraulic oil... is this the same thing?
I know a lot of people use Hydraulic oil, But it's not the right stuff. It is similar but the proper lathe headstock oil is Circulating or turbine oil. Mobil DTE oil or equivalent is the right oil.

Make sure you use what the manual says. These lathes are designed as a "Splash" system, There is a trough at the top under the lid with small holes above the bearings and the oil splashes up and drips through the holes into the bearings. Using the wrong oils such as too thick of a viscosity will limit the amount of oil that gets to the bearings.

I know a lot of people use Hydraulic oil, But it's not the right stuff. It is similar but the proper lathe headstock oil is Circulating or turbine oil. Mobil DTE oil or equivalent is the right oil.

Agree.

I went down the oil rabbit hole after buying my lathe. I wound up buying Mobil DTE Light (32) for my machine. Circulating oil like this is close to double the cost of hydraulic oil.

Folks get very particular about this subject and if you're one of those please look up the original specification of whatever machine you buy and follow the manufacturers recommendations (substituting modern alternatives when appropriate).

Make sure you use what the manual says. These lathes are designed as a "Splash" system, There is a trough at the top under the lid with small holes above the bearings and the oil splashes up and drips through the holes into the bearings. Using the wrong oils such as too thick of a viscosity will limit the amount of oil that gets to the bearings.
I'm not sure where you're getting that. The Mobil DTE series of oils are hydraulic oils.

Screenshot 2024-04-30 at 11.59.22 AM.png

It is called a hydraulic oil, But it is used in turbines and machinery, If you want to use tractor fluid in your lathe, That's fine, If hydraulic fluid you get at tractor supply was ok to use in the headstocks, Don't you think the manufacturer would say that in the manual? They give specific oil requirements that have different additive packages in them I'm sure my Ford 5000 Diesel Tractor does not call for Mobil DTE because it is different.

And Mobil DTE 20 is not the same as Mobil DTE light or Mobil DTE Medium.

1714497302498.png

First of all a hydraulic system has bearings, precise pump tolerances and a major dislike for impurities.
" manufactured from highly refined TURBINE oil stocks"
DTE is what has been called for in the headstocks of most machine tools for the last 50 years.
I personally feel it is over priced and any quality name brand oil of the correct rating will work just fine.
Another note, when I worked for companies during depressed economic times I had to make the most of my maintenance budget,
I used one viscosity of locally blended hydraulic oil, one viscosity of locally blended way oil ( which was pretty much hydraulic oil with a tactifier) one viscosity of high speed spindle oil.
We so no issues due to my oil choices.....
We made landing gear for military and non military airplanes.17144964010454180197204903552067.jpg

Back