new lathe or rebuilt one?

Everyone, I haven't had an opportunity to get back on-line since my original post, but I have to say how amazed and appreciative I was tonight when I got back on the Forum and found so many encouraging and helpful replies. Thank you. I truly appreciate each of you taking the time to give me your advice.

I actually do have some pictures of the lathe and promise to learn how to post them before the weekend is over. Since the pictures were taken, I have since completely disassembled everything with the intention of cleaning all the parts, repainting them then beginning the process of rebuilding everything. It was at this point I became intimidated by the complexity of the project and called Logan Actuator who eventually suggested it would be much cheaper to buy something already restored. I look forward to figuring out how to post the pictures and hearing what everyone thinks.

Don't listen to that nonsense that it would be cheaper to buy an already restored lathe. Many times machines don't need so much and even if you buy a restored machine, there is no guarantee that it will be problem free. Better the devil you know than the devil you don't.

I have restored quite a few machines and provided that you work systematically and tackle one thing at a time, you will surprise yourself. You will come away from the experience more comfortable with the machine and a more competent machine rebuilder than you were before. This is an example of my first machine:

P9040786.jpg

PC130963.jpg

I had to repair the gearbox, change out all the bearings, make a bunch of new parts for the tool holder, repair some gears in the headstock etc... Before this project I had never fixed a machine. This took me 3 months, doing a little here and there when I had time. I have since sold the machine but that experience has helped me understand how to do this work on other machines and has taught me a lot about gear boxes.

The total cost for parts and paint was $140. This is NOT expensive if you do the work yourself.

Good luck.

I was looking for a project a few years ago and found this craigslist Logan 820 real cheap. For about $300 and hours on Ebay I got it running and usable, if not completed. Used parts, except for the bearings are the way to go. Just keep looking on CL and Ebay for months and what you want will show up. Impatience will cost you!
S5002740.jpg

6 months later

1_25_06_12_8_49_54.jpe

1_25_06_12_8_48_22.jpe

It is not perfect, and I know purists will hate the sewing machine motor, but it works. When I get the new shop built, I will finish the restore. That pic was awhile ago and it is a little more complete now.
The most, by far important thing about fixing an old machine is the knowledge . Now you will know every nut, bolt lever and screw! Scott Logan is great, but there are far cheaper alternatives out there. If you can not find the part, get it from Logan Actuator. Support the manufacturer by all means! Get the books on your lathe, hard copy and pdf from him. Keep searching online for parts. Do not get too excited and buy the first part! Prices vary wildly! I needed a small part for my apron, it was $25? and later I found a complete apron and crosslide for $50. It was was for a later 820, but the parts I needed were there. It is possible to do it cheap, it does take hours online, but the knowledge is priceless!

Stan!
http://www.toolfools.com/forum

Don't be intimated. People here are more then willing to help you out!! If you search you tube mr.pete222 just bought a Logan and he is tearing it down. He put the video up yesterday!! Perfect timing!!

Chris

Buy parts from Logan only when you cannot find them anywhere else, like on eBay.

I am glad you are restoring the machine. I have restored several over the years and it is a very satisfying hobby. You get to learn so much, it is not terribly difficult, few things are actually that critical, and you end up with a pretty little machine that will last for years when you are done.

Everyone, I haven't had an opportunity to get back on-line since my original post, but I have to say how amazed and appreciative I was tonight when I got back on the Forum and found so many encouraging and helpful replies. Thank you. I truly appreciate each of you taking the time to give me your advice.

I actually do have some pictures of the lathe and promise to learn how to post them before the weekend is over. Since the pictures were taken, I have since completely disassembled everything with the intention of cleaning all the parts, repainting them then beginning the process of rebuilding everything. It was at this point I became intimidated by the complexity of the project and called Logan Actuator who eventually suggested it would be much cheaper to buy something already restored. I look forward to figuring out how to post the pictures and hearing what everyone thinks.
good choice:))
I am starting to really enjoy the rebuilding part of this hobby, and as many others have mentioned, you really learn about the workings of the mschine.

best of luck to you in your journey!

Rich

I have a Logan 850 that I just got at the end of August. If you have any questions/need to compare, let me know. There are not that many of us online with this model. I was lucky to get a fairly complete one, and was under power so I could watch it run. That said, I've done a lot of cleaning, painting, and repair on it already. Here are before and after pictures of mine.
logan 850.pngIMG_2055.JPG

IMG_2055.JPG logan 850.png

It's not about the money, best monetary value etc....the restoration can be an adventure! Go slow>put everything in labeled freezer bags>get a good manual>ask questions. If you don't care about the lathe "work" and just want to get something made for a project you're passionate about, buy a new lathe by all means. That's fine.

Refurbish it. Yep, I can't agree more. I had never ran a lathe before but I bought a used Heavy 10 and knew it would take time and patience to refurbish it but it was well worth it. The only thing I'd add is before you start to tear down a section or part take lots of pictures of it! If you don't have a digital camera than go buy a cheap one. If you can't get something back together, or forget how it goes, then a picture could save a lot of grief and time. There were a few times while doing my Heavy 10 that I had to refer back to my pics and boy was I glad I had them. So take it slow, don't cut corners, and do it right the first time....and take lots of pics.

Back