New Lathe Owner, Second Upgrade, Quick Change Tool Post, Question or Two

Growley Monster

Registered
Registered
Okay, I been making chips for a few weeks with my mini mill, and recently pulled the trigger on a Vevor 7x12 mini lathe. First order of business was to get some tool blanks and a live center. Then I discovered that a half inch piece is too high, and a 3/8" square piece is too low, without shimming. So I figured I would get a quick change tool post so I can adjust the height of a tool without fiddly shims and stuff. I got the package today and went to put it on and give it a try, but the stud that holds the original tool post is too short. The quick change post comes with two bolts and one is the same thread and diameter as the stud. Do I remove that stud, and just use the supplied bolt? A couple of times already I almost did something that it turned out it was a good thing I didn't do it, so I am asking.

Also the tool post slide rocks a lot. It seems really loose. Anything I should know, before I start fiddling with it? Should I just make myself a better one, with tighter tolerances?

My first real project on the lathe will probably be a flange for a tank top level gauge for the diesel tank on my boat. I don't like those remote electrical ones and mine doesn't work anyway, and I have a nice all mechanical one that reads on a mechanical dial, fresh out of the box. The gauge is about 1-3/4" NPT so I have to cut pipe taper threads in the opening but I have a tap that I think will work so I will try that first. Next project will be a fly cutter and after that, a sliding center for the tailstock to make it easier to turn long tapers between centers, for prop shafts, R8 or Morse taper shank tools, stuff like that.

I think I'm gonna have a lot of fun with this thing, actually. So far all I have done is turned and faced a piece of 3/4" mild steel rod, just to get my feet wet. I'll make some kind of tool or gadget tomorrow that actually has a purpose. Maybe a center punch or something.

Use whatever bolt works to mount the tool post. Not sure what you mean by the "tool post slide"?

Huh. Been working on 40 and 50 year old diesel engines too much. The original stud was just finger tight. Quick change toolpost successfully installed. Fixing to grind up a tool and turn some steel.

Back