New machines for me!

Deano

Registered
Registered
I finally ordered a new lathe and mill from PM yesterday! In order to keep the wife happy, I went all out and ordered the 14X40GT and the 9x35 mill. DRO's on both and 2 power feeds (X/Z) on the mill. I wanted to go bigger on the mill, but due to limited overhead space I couldn't. I could not get any money off the machine prices, but since I'm only a few hours away, I was able to get a deal on the shipping. This was a little surprising since got a fair amount of extras as well as the machine. But I am old enough to know that "buy once, cry Once" is absolutely true. I paid by CC because I have good cash back rewards and I preferred that over the 2% discount for cash that PM offered.

I'm vise shopping today and am thinking the new Kurt dx line looks good. Just wondering if the dx6 will be a little large and should go down to the dx4. Any thoughts from anyone with a similar sized machine?

I have a PM935 and use a Kurt 5" vise that I was fortunate to stumble across here on the forums. I like the size of the 5" vise for what I do (mostly pistolsmithing), but others seem OK with their 6" vises. I just didn't want that much overhang over the front of the table, and TBH I don't really need a vise that big.

I did put 6" vise jaws in my Kurt though. :D

I'm vise shopping today and am thinking the new Kurt dx line looks good. Just wondering if the dx6 will be a little large and should go down to the dx4. Any thoughts from anyone with a similar sized machine?

You definitely want a 6" wide vise, as it's next to impossible to find parallels and what not that aren't 6" wide. I have a 4" vise and I've lost count how many times I've cut my knuckles open while taking a measurement, because I caught the corner of a parallel that sticking out past the jaws.

Take a look at the 3620V, it has 6" jaws, but its almost 4" shorter. 4" capacity between the jaws, 12.75" maximum clamping capacity. The down side is it's $1000 MSRP, but I have seen it on sale before for like $750.

Welcome to the cult...errrrmmm, I mean club!

Congrats on the machines. You are going to love them. Pictures when they come, otherwise you will get kicked off of the forum. ;)

You definitely want a 6" wide vise, as it's next to impossible to find parallels and what not that aren't 6" wide. I have a 4" vise and I've lost count how many times I've cut my knuckles open while taking a measurement, because I caught the corner of a parallel that sticking out past the jaws.

Take a look at the 3620V, it has 6" jaws, but its almost 4" shorter. 4" capacity between the jaws, 12.75" maximum clamping capacity. The down side is it's $1000 MSRP, but I have seen it on sale before for like $750.

That is a great point! I will check it out, thanks! Must of my googling brought up the DX line, probably because its the newest.

I would advise getting the Kurt 6", that will go a long ways in keeping your wife happy! Seriously, it is much easier to work on small parts in a bigger vise than it is to do big parts in a smaller vise. as for Kurt, IMHO, there is nothing better. Great clamping power and the movable jaw doesn't lift up like like on plain vise. I have used the cheap Kurt knock offs and they don't work as good, the frames flex.

That is a great point! I will check it out, thanks! Must of my googling brought up the DX line, probably because its the newest.

if you want more capacity between the jaws in the standard configuration take a look at the 3600V, its the same size as the DX6.

Imo the 3600v line of vises are better vises because they are more like a toolmakers vise. The fixed jaw is part of the main body, and the sides are ground square so you can mount the vise on its side. However you pay for those additional niceties.

I concur with the 6" vise recommendation. I wrestled with the decision when I got my 8x35 mill. Decided on the 6" Kurt and couldn't be happier (well, I will be happier when I make a speed handle for it--the Kurt handle is a PITA).

Back