New Member From Texas

vocatexas

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
Hello, guys. I've been lurking around here for a couple of years. I'm a rancher in central Texas, in my early 50s, and have been interested in machining since I was a teenager, but have no actual experience. I do my own mechanical work and am an experienced welder within certain limits. I decided a couple of years ago that I wanted to learn the art of machining and finally, last week, purchased my first machine: an Atlas 7B shaper. I have been on the look-out for a lathe for a while as well. I want something big enough to work on my own equipment. I believe something around 16x48 or 60 would be plenty big.

Last night I came across a listing for a 16x54 Lodge and Shipley. The seller recently bought it from a shop which was upgrading to a CNC and he really knows little about it. Can anyone here tell me roughly what horsepower the motor in this lathe would be? It's a three phase, I do know that, and I would need to install a VFD to run it, as I don't have access to 3 phase power here. The price on the lathe is great if I don't have to spend a fortune on a way to power it.

I'm looking forward to being a member here and learning the tricks of the trade from the experienced people here.

I don't know for sure what hp your motor will be but I would guess between 3 and 7.5. I would say go the rotory phase converter route (I would recommend American rotory, just bought one for my son) unless you need the variable speed. Some of the old motor insulation won't handle the stress that a vfd puts on it. You also get the bonus that you can add another three phase machine with minimal fussing, just plug it in and go. I have a LeBlonde that is probably similar, it is a 17x60 and has a 5 horse motor. The L&S line of machines is good stuff, if you watch Keith Rucker I believe that is what he uses at the museum.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Thanks for the reply, Carl. For the price of the lathe, I think I could swing the phase converter. The lathe comes with a tailstock but no center installed, a steady rest, a taper attachment, and I think a three jaw chuck. How difficult is it to find accessories for L&S lathes, such as maybe a four jaw chuck, etc.? I know Southbend parts are common but not sure about L&S.

Yes, I watch Mr. Rucker, Mr. Pete, and several other machinists on You Tube. I especially enjoy how they take the time to explain the 'whys' as well as the 'how-tos' for those of us trying to soak up knowledge.

That lathe is a beast with 7.5 hp motor.

Tailstock ram or spindle will be hard to find but maybe could be made.

Can use to get better price maybe.

Need more details as there are many models that are that size.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

That's a Model A, produced in the 1940's up until the Model X came out around 1953 there abouts. I have a large capacity steady rest I bought for my Model X that didn't fit but was told it was for the Model A about a 16" swing lathe. If interested in it PM me. I also have a couple of chucks that may fit yours too if interested. Ken

I don't think you will have any trouble finding accessories. It looks pretty complete. Centers and accessories for your tail stock are simple commodity items. Probably an mt4 taper. As to chucks I'm guessing that had an L series spindle nose so once again easy to come by.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Hi Voca, that's a nice lathe you're considering. When you said tailstock center I thought you meant quill, but it looks like the quill is there. Dead and live centers are easy to come by, as are drill chucks.
I wish I had room for a machine that big. Gotta start planning my new shop!
Be careful moving it, it must weigh a ton (or more)
Mark S.

The Model A has a L-2 spindle nose I believe. Some where I have a catalog page on this lathe I can confirm if needed. I had it's big sister a 20" x 78" Model X lathe. Was nice to have. Just have too many lathes! The one above weighs around 5,000 lbs. Ken

Voca, Texas, I've been thru that spot in the road may times over the years. Went thru there last September going bird hunting.

I'v also been in that area a few times, Nice lathe, you should have some fun with it.
welcome and join in.

Back