New Member Intro

QwikKotaTx

Registered
Registered
Good day, folks. I am looking to begin my search for a used lathe and hopefully further enhance a small garage that currently has a lot of hand tools, MIG welder, and the usual bench grinder and sander.

I have begun scouring Craigslist and other sites in search of a South Bend Model 9A in good shape in the Houston area. Any tips on where to look or what pitfalls to watch out for when looking at old American Iron is greatly appreciated.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Hi and welcome.

I don't have any particular tips for your area but I would recommend expanding your list of possibilities beyond just a 9A. There are plenty of other good makes out there and from what I understand the South Bend models command a premium.

I would start with determining the maximum space available in your shop for the machine since often larger machines can be had for quite a bit less than the smaller ones. More capacity: HP, spindle bore, swing, rigidity, etc. are all things you may eventually want and if you have the space you'll be miles ahead with a bigger machine.

I have a Seneca Falls 9" lathe that I bought off Craigslist years ago and it does pretty good. Still I wish I had purchased something more modern with real spindle bearings, a QCGB, and 14" swing.

There are tips on here about what to look for in any used lathe but honestly your best bet will be bringing someone with you that is experienced in how to check these things out. Also, if it isn't under power be doubly diligent on your inspection since problems with gearing and bearings might not be apparent until it's too late.

Look for a deal that includes at least a 3 & 4 jaw chuck, steady rest, faceplate, lathe dogs, and additional tooling since these things will add up and can be tough to find later on.

Most of all be patient. Ask around to friends and family. Visit a local machine shop and look into night school machining programs. You will find what you want but jumping on the first thing that comes along is a mistake that a lot of us make, there are always people online here who can be helpful in evaluating stuff remotely so don't hesitate to post pictures of what you find.

Cheers,

John

Thank you all very much. I had forgotten about the machining classes. That is definitely a good idea.

Not a huge amount of room in the garage but I do have 220V single phase available.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

You have a better chance of finding some nice used stuff over in that area of TX than over in our area. Not much machining around here.
Welcome and they help a lot on this site. I have a small garage also, MOst stuff that can be put on wheels is so it moves around. Move one piece to get another out where it can be used. Jigsaw puzzle.

Back