New mill, anchor to floor or just sit it down ??

Steve R

Registered
Registered
I'm getting ready to purchase a mill PM1054TS & VFD. I was reading the book on the mill and they "suggest" when possible to bolt it to the floor. I have 6" concrete floor but I put my radiant heat lines on the rebar up in the concrete and not on the insulation. I'm not very fond of drilling a hole. I could locate lines by turning on the heat and using a thermo imaging scope, but still not wanting to drill holes. The 1054 weighs in about 2900 lbs. Those of you who have similar size mills, what have you done. bolted it down, or just sat on floor (leveling pads)??

My Cincinnati is sitting on the leveling feet that came on the machine. The machine hasn't gone for a stroll as yet. I think with a solid floor you'll be fine without nailing it down.

If you are concerned about hitting the in floor heating system. I would get some leveling feet with vibration dampening. Anchoring is the best, but a pain. With the vibration dampening feet, you will reduce the vibration that will end up in the finish of your parts.

My Bridgeport came with leveling feet. I just used those to adjust the wobble out. It doesn't want to wander around the shop.

Never anchored a mill in the shop I worked in nor the one I owned. There is no need, and as sure as you do you will find a need to move it. I've shifted mine around to allow sticking a long shaft out the door. It doesn't even need to be accurately leveled, just sitting solidly on the floor so it won't rock.

I used swivel Leveling feet as my floor is pretty rough, I also got the ones with the rubber on the bottom to absorb vibration and help keep the mill from walking down hill (floor is not level either). So far in 25 years the machine has not moved at all in either level or location. I have the feet adjusted so the bottom of the mill is about 2 inches high. makes it a lot easier to clean up and raises it to a more comfortable working height.

As a service tech for these types of machines, I have never seen one bolted to the floor. Most guys just set them on the floor or use leveling feet.

Mine in the garage is on leveling feet, but it is no where near a 1054.

Jon

My Bridgeport is just sat on a level concrete floor in a garage. Never moves a whisker. Really don't see a need to bolt it, gravity is pretty effective at doing that all in its own.

My BP clone sits on the floor. I needed a wedge under one corner to keep it from rocking.

Back