New Mill and Lathe

I got the QCTP #250-111 and it works fine but it doesn't sit high enough. I put a 1/4 inch spacer under it. I would buy a larger one that puts the tool closer to centerline. Even with the spacer my tool holders are at the limit of their adjustment. I have zer0 experience with others. The standard toolholder holds up to 1 inch and I shim the tools to adjust them. I didn't get VFD and the lathe works fine but would probably get VFD if I ordered one today. I've only used the high speed range just to see how it works, otherwise it stays in the low range. Belt move to switch ranges is easy and fast, just haven't used high. I drive cars and motorcycles fast, lathes and mills slow. I was worried about the 90 rpm low speed but haven't experienced any problems threading. I have crashed a tool or two, but due to my lack of attention. I have purchased tools to thread on the back side in reverse.

Did you happen to get the QCTP with it and is it any count? What side cutters 3/8,5/8, or 1/2 is best?

I'm not sure what you mean by "any count"? The size of the cutters you should use is the biggest that is appropriate for the work you are doing. I think 1/2" is not a bad "default" size--and you can go bigger or smaller from there, as needed. Surely a bigger cutter is more rigid. Disclaimer: I am not an expert.

Back