New Mill and Lathe

All good points I think. The type of things I can think of in the past would be 2to 6” round by 10 to 20” long, that being said, I’m a welder so I’m use to fabing the ends and welding them to something else. I’m sure my taste will grow. Space for machines isn’t a problem (30x40). Moving equipment isn’t a problem ( have a couple of 100 hp tractors). My equipment right now isn’t cheap stuff so not really looking to be cheap now but really had a budget in mind. I hear all the bigger is better, but trying to put size and need in perspective, if someone asked about starting out welding as a hobby I wouldn’t send in the direction of bigger is always better. I have several sizes of mig welders, pulse aluminum, tig, couple gas arc welders, plasma cutter, torches, track torches, pipe Beverlers, metal miter saws, drill presses, band saw, cold saw, grinders of every size, but all this might be overkill for the beginner (you think). So if asked the question I would probably send that guy out to get a small mig welder 220volt running 023 wire and he would learn a lot real fast, after that he would probably be able to answer more questions himself. I understand the tooling needs will never end. So all that being said, my original post I was basically wanting to know if the PM 1236 was a good starting point or maybe it should be a little different. Like I said I don’t know anything about lathes or mills, but I do know vast amounts about all types of materials. Pretty sure my attitude about machining will be like every thing else and that is I Got This. And if it isn’t working I’ll learn to manipulate it. I do appreciate all the responses, just trying to explain..Later

So all that being said, my original post I was basically wanting to know if the PM 1236 was a good starting point or maybe it should be a little different.

How many horsepower do you estimate you'll need/want (I see PM1236 is 2HP, 1PH)? The spindle speed, feed speed, and depth of cut will be limited by the horsepower of your machine and depends upon a number of factors such as the size and type of material you are cutting. The details, along with examples illustrating the calculations, are carefully described in Chapter 7 of Moltrecht's book, "Machine Shop Practice", Vol. 1 (of 2). Professional machinists, and I would assume professional welders, care about speed. Do you? Either way, I think this is a very good book and it can be had cheap. Admittedly, it was last published in 1981, so maybe there is something that discusses this in a more convenient format. But if so, I haven't found it--like I said earlier, I'm only 6 months ahead of you on this endeaver. Anyway, I hope this helps explain why so many asked about "how" you'll use your machine. To people using a lathe to make money, money=time=speed. If you are in this category, it might not be the best choice. I think your analogy with welding is very good--you have a lot of welding equipment for a reason. I looked at the the PM1236T. The website advises, "for heavier daily use, please select PM-1340GT"--as it has "hardened gears") . Now you have to also ask yourself, do you need/want a lathe with hardened gears (they don't cover that in the book)? It appears $6400 will get you one having a good stand, delivered to your door--DRO extra... :) So I guess the last (rhetorical) question to ask is about shopping: Do you have more time, or money? Hope that helps!

Bill_729

So all that being said, my original post I was basically wanting to know if the PM 1236 was a good starting point or maybe it should be a little different. Like I said I don’t know anything about lathes or mills, but I do know vast amounts about all types of materials. Pretty sure my attitude about machining will be like every thing else and that is I Got This. And if it isn’t working I’ll learn to manipulate it.

The machines you selected are quite capable. Being used to working with metal already, you shouldn't have much trouble. I do still suggest you at least look at what's available on the used market in your area. matthewsx captured the idea quite well, above: "Often these older machines have had the bugs already worked out of them, unlike buying new where that's your job." It may be that you find a fantastic deal from a seller who will even teach you how to operate the thing. And if you don't, hey, buying new is a great fallback option to have.

I’ve looked at used, most seem to be as big as my truck, or look like they were sitting outside in a shed for 15 years, or just an utter piece of junk that someone thinks is worth 10 grand. And it might be but I’m not looking for something like that. Maybe I’d be more interested in old iron if I knew more but not right now. 1340 GT seems to keep coming up, with all good reviews, but you said speed? It still has only 2 hp. Is the 90 rpm on the bottom side a problem? So looks like I jumped about 2 grand in machines, store of my life.

When you look at the 134GT with a few accessories the price comes out about the same as 1440BV. Now which one? OMG

I’ve looked at used, most seem to be as big as my truck, or look like they were sitting outside in a shed for 15 years, or just an utter piece of junk that someone thinks is worth 10 grand. And it might be but I’m not looking for something like that. Maybe I’d be more interested in old iron if I knew more but not right now. 1340 GT seems to keep coming up, with all good reviews, but you said speed? It still has only 2 hp. Is the 90 rpm on the bottom side a problem? So looks like I jumped about 2 grand in machines, store of my life.

Finding the right machine is a challenge regardless of if you buy new or used. The difference is buying used gives you the option (sometimes) of trying it out first. If I had the budget and was buying new I would definitely go with Taiwan over China. I've heard they do make good machine tools in China, just not exported here. Maybe that will change with how the tariffs effect the market but most likely it'll make Taiwan more affordable in comparison.

Whatever you do take your time because it's a decision you will likely live with quite a while. There's nothing like buying a new toy to bring out all the great used deals after you've spent your money;)

Cheers,

John

When you look at the 134GT with a few accessories the price comes out about the same as 1440BV. Now which one? OMG

Yeah they're priced like cars, once you add in the options you really want the price is about what the bigger/nicer one is going for. You start adding in a few things to that and you realize the next one up isn't much more...on and on it goes until you reach your financial or space limitation.

Some good opinions, which I’ve also found helpful.

I’m currently running a simulation on what the size of a 36” bed lathe is like...:

Back