New Mill vice. Did I Screw up?

I feel quite different regarding the six inch vise. I have a jet jmd18 pfn. Table is slightly bigger but the head room is quite a bit more at it s highest point 26" inches spindle to table distance.
I feel the added mass is quite important for me. It really does smooth things out. I can open it up nine inches and put a smaller vise in it. Having the luxory of all the headroom allows me to keep the vise on the swivel base and have the vise mounted in the x plane and don t have to worry about room for tooling.
The vise does get restricted somewhat in y but if I had a smaller vise with such a small opening it would restrict me more than having nine inches to play with on opening plus I can stick it out the end close to the column. I do plan to make a cast plate offset to mount the vise to the table without the swivel will gain just about all of my y.
One thing you have to remember and why To choose the round column that gets put down by all the clueless that should never comment on a round column mill unless they have or had one is the fact you can mount the vise anywhere on the table and spin the head to do work you can t do on a solid column. Put the vise way out to one side sticking off the table and have acces with the ability because of the round column.
I think you are restricting yourself with a smaller vise. I presume you have a clamp kit. With the two you should be set.
With the six inch and a good toolmakers vise at three or four inches and with mounting in the six inch opens doors for you to move things around and get work done you may never have been able to. You may not see the possiilities now but experience will take care of that!
Here is a project I finished up some time ago. Cast press plates turned into a square/v block with radiuses and holes to press out bearings from shafts from 1/4" to 2.5". Here I am boring out the 1.25" hole. The cast pc. Are five inches long themselves.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    59.1 KB · Views: 39
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    62.5 KB · Views: 37
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    66.5 KB · Views: 38
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    67.1 KB · Views: 35
I know I said I was gonna return the 6 inch vise but return shipping was more than half the cost of the vise. My cheeks would not spread that far so I kept it. On the bright side, it's a much better fit with the swivel base removed and my little mill vice fits in the big one so I don't have to dial it in.

VICE IN VICE.JPG

I also bought a 6" vice for my small Smithy mill.
I then bought a 4" vice from Smithy.

6" vice was way to big.

I can use it if needed, it does work fine just too big.

Save your 6" vice, you will need it sometime.

Good choice Ed. Bigger isn't always better. All good, it happens to all of us!

I wanted the next size up Cobra pliers. Since there was only 2 more sizes larger than my largest I figured I'd just buy the largest size since it didn't cost much more than the size I originally wanted. Well the damn thing ended up being too big & is useless for me. :D

I'll probably just give it to my buddy after I buy the size I originally wanted.

View attachment 298707
I used to use 18 or 20 inchers to remove oil filters on CAT engines. Those look pretty close. The worst stuck filters in the world are no match for those pliers.

Roy

Back