New motor help

Yep, weigh all the options and what the price benefit is. Rotary phase converter and transformer may be the best.

Also, that $1800 for the local motor shop deserves a second look. There is something to be said for keeping things stock if they are in good shape.

John

Shaft size on this motor I 1". Pulley has lots of room to bore to 1.125" which seems to be the common size on the motors I have looked at.
I have a shop that I can take the machine to that has 575 3ph. I'll test everything out before I proceed any further.

Thanks

VFD's do not need to be oversized unless you are buying a generic Chinese brand and if you are trying to drive a difficult load to start. VFD manufactures stat the output amps in both variable torque mode for pumps and fans and constant torque loads for most machines. They also have normal duty (ND) and heavy duty (HD) output ratings, as well as any de-ratings for say single phase input on a 3 phase input model, etc. You look at the output amps and make sure that they apply to the motor rated full load amps at the rated voltage and a bit of margin say 10% or more. It also depends on the load type and if it is intermittent or continuous at full load.

The GS21-23P0 I linked to previously is a single phase input VFD, output current is 11.0A in constant torque and 12.5A in variable torque. The Teco motor on eBay is rated at 7.7A@230VAC and 8.78@190VAC. There would be no reason to oversize the VFD. Most "3Hp" single phase input VFD's have an output rating in the 9-11A output in constant torque. If using a 3 phase input VFD and trying to run it off of single phase, the general rule of thumb is to derate the VFD by 50%, but it is VFD brand and model specific. The flip side is I have heard of a number of people buying generic Chinese/HY VFD's and then going up in smoke when driving difficult loads like compressors and that is even with upsizing the VFD. I would double the size of the HY VFD in that case.

Yep, weigh all the options and what the price benefit is. Rotary phase converter and transformer may be the best.

Also, that $1800 for the local motor shop deserves a second look. There is something to be said for keeping things stock if they are in good shape.

John
I used a local rewinder here to rewind my 2 hp 3 phase motor. It was originally a 230–440-volt motor. I let them just wire it 230 volts thus allowing just 3 wires to hook up to. EZ-PZ. The total cost was about $250 used and it works great. How ever I am running it on an American Rotary phase converter that I paid around $800usd for but it allows me to keep the variable pully drive. This also allowed me to use the manual clutch and brake. When using a VFD you will likely have to buy the extra resister to bleed down the capacitors in order to have E-STOP. MKSJ is a great resource on this forum. He was a lot of help to me when I delved into the Black Box world of VFD's. Me trying to learn how to program my first VFD almost put me BACK in the Nut House. LOL

If you were closer I'd offer you a deal on a 5hp, 3-phase 184T, 1750rpm Baldor I took off my compressor when I converted it to single-phase. Used 3-phase motors can be cheap, but hardly anybody will be able to show you one running.

Michigan is a little to far to go or I would take you up on that.
I doubt I'd buy a used motor unless I could see it run.

After much debate I ended up going with a local shop that recommended a WEG cfw500 controller and a WEG 220v 3ph 3hp motor.
Hopefully this configuration does what I need it to.

WEG motors and VFD's are quite good, and are reasonably priced. There is also the added complexity of more limited options in Canada. I would keep the usable speed range of the motor to ~20-80Hz. You can also control the acceleration and deceleration rates.

After much debate I ended up going with a local shop that recommended a WEG cfw500 controller and a WEG 220v 3ph 3hp motor.
Hopefully this configuration does what I need it to.
You'll be happy with that combination and having a local shop as a resource can't hurt. I'm sure it wasn't cheap, but this is one of those buy once, cry once sort of scenarios. In ten years you won't be thinking about the cost, and it'll still be working properly.

Back