New PM-1236T Lathe has arrived

riveter

Registered
Registered
After a six month wait the PM-1236T Lathe arrived. Other than a couple of paint scrapes and gouges it looks pretty good. I spent a couple of hours uncrating and cleaning it. It is still pretty hot in the garage, but the humidity is getting more tolerable.
20220809_132016.jpg
20220809_133302.jpg
20220809_140951.jpg

I'm not clear on the gearbox oiling. The manual tells me to inject oil into the gallery. I am not familiar with this arrangement. Are there holes for the oil to drip onto gears?
Lathe Gearbox oiling.jpg
Gearbox Case Parts.jpg

Comment removed…

Owners of the same lathe will chime in :)

You have an open gear box. It is a total loss system. Every time you go to use the lathe squirt some oil in there. It will drip down on the change gears and out the bottom onto your pan. I have a little tray under mine to help catch the oil.

Yep, what NCjeeper said. I took the cover off of mine to be sure. Just inside the oil port there is a tray with holes in it allowing the oil to drip down in the gears. There is a piece of some kind of mesh laying in the tray to moderate the rate of drip, but it doesn't do much.

Yep, what NCjeeper said. I took the cover off of mine to be sure. Just inside the oil port there is a tray with holes in it allowing the oil to drip down in the gears. There is a piece of some kind of mesh laying in the tray to moderate the rate of drip, but it doesn't do much.
I will take the cover off tomorrow to see it and to see if I can oil it with my regular oil squirt cans.

I use a regular squirt can, three pumps. I also have a drip pan that I made to catch the oil.

I will take the cover off tomorrow to see it and to see if I can oil it with my regular oil squirt cans.
This might provide more clarity on what’s under the hood and alternative solutions to improve the Norton gearbox oiling.

Congrats! You’re going to love it!

This might provide more clarity on what’s under the hood and alternative solutions to improve the Norton gearbox oiling.

Great info. Thanks David!

Back