New PM-940V

I used the ArizonaCNC conversion kit for the PM-940. I was very impressed with the kit. Everything fit perfectly and it was easy to install. The fit was impressive considering the Chinese casting are somewhat rough. I had to put a small shim on the Y Axis ball nut holder where it mounted to the saddle as the casting was slightly off, but that was the extent of my adjustments. I had a few other minor glitches that were my fault, such as accidently running the ball nut off the ball screw which allowed me to learn how to pack the balls into a ball nut. It is actually quite easy. In addition to a great fit, Dave at ArizonaCNC provides great support for his product. As I knew very little about Ball screws and CNC machines, I had a number of questions and he talked me through everything. I highly recommend his products.

I used Clearpath servos and they mounted up to the ball screw mounts perfectly. Clearpath has a servo tuning program that runs on a PC that is used to test and tune the servos. After a little tweaking of the gibs and adjusting the servo mounts to ensure that everything was straight, the tuning program ran nicely and show that nothing was binding.

This picture shows the Z axis mount and servo.

IMG_2746.jpg

I finished putting everything back together, mounted my control enclosure to the side of the column and connected the drives and spindle motor to my Acorn system and added limit switches.

X axis limit switches.

IMG_2790.jpg

The Acorn system seems to run fine. All the servos work fine and the spindle is controlled by Acorn as well. Although the castings are typical Chinese, I was pleased with the finish of the ways, they seem to be pretty good. I now need to tram the column and the head to the table and tune the Acorn system. I'll probably add a Fogbuster system like I have on my lathe. I'll also need to get some basic tooling.

The next step is to try to find something to make with it.

Looks great. Have you checked the spindle? Curious TIR.

Back