[4]

New (realy Old) Welder

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

Charley Davidson

Active User
Registered
I haven't actually taken possession of it yet but I have bought an Airco 300 Squarewave tig/stick welder complete wit pedal/torch/leads it is a 3 phase but setup for single phase. Got it for less than 2 tanks of gas in a Ford Ranger. Can't wait to get it to my shop and play with it. I already have a like new water cooler and torch. Any of you have any experience with these welders? Good or Bad? Tips on it's useage? I'm assuming it's scratch start and I have no experience with that at all on tig

T Bredehoft

Active User
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
TIG is push the pedal and draw off an arc, feed (by hand) the filler rod. It is similar to torch welding, but easy. I haven't used a TIG welder for 35 years, and wish now I could rationalize one, but no, its not to be.

Ulma Doctor

Infinitely Curious
Airco welders are generally solid, i have not had the pleasure of tiggin on that powerplant, but i'm sure you'll be just fine with it.
Does it have high frequency???

brino

Active User
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
Hey Charley,

For TIG inspiration check out the videos by Jody at :
http://www.weldingtipsandtricks.com/

(As long as you don't get discouraged from someone else making it look really easy) ;)

-brino

Ozwelder

Active User
Registered
G day Charlie,
If you can oxy weld with filler wire,you will be able to tig.

It is the basically the hand manipulation same, except you swop the gas heat source for an electric one. Keep in mind that the molten pool is what melts the wire filler and you are off to the races.

The wire filler should be kept within the cover gas envelope to avoid oxidising the tip.

I would be surprised if it did not have an HF start. from the few I have seen Airco stuff was built like a brick dunny and you can expect longevity from it.

Enjoy your new toy mate!

Ozwelder

Charley Davidson

Active User
Registered
G day Charlie,
If you can oxy weld with filler wire,you will be able to tig.

It is the basically the hand manipulation same, except you swop the gas heat source for an electric one. Keep in mind that the molten pool is what melts the wire filler and you are off to the races.

The wire filler should be kept within the cover gas envelope to avoid oxidising the tip.

I would be surprised if it did not have an HF start. from the few I have seen Airco stuff was built like a brick dunny and you can expect longevity from it.

Enjoy your new toy mate!

Ozwelder
I can tig weld (somewhat) I've never used a tig that I had to scratch start. I haven't checked into whether or not it high feq or not.

bcall2043

Active User
Registered
Charley, be sure and check amperage requirements when using your new machine on single phase. I suspect it could be high and cause more toasted wires/breakers in your shop.

Benny

FOMOGO

Active User
Looks like you will need 100-120 amp breaker to get full output on that machine. If it is like the one in the pic it HF capable. I have a Linde HF 250 that is very similar and is rated for 100 amps in, but works fine for most things I do on a 50 amp circuit. Mike
IMG_0907-vi.jpg

D

Deleted member 20190

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
Nice score, Charlie. I used to do a lot of TIG welding, working on stainless steel process equipment. I would love to have one of my own, but cannot justify the cost, unless of course I can stumble on a deal like yours. So, I'll just stick with my Miller Thunderbolt for stick work and my Hobart Handler for MIG work.

larryr

Registered
Registered
nice old welder. hope you have lots of power to run it. check the input current tag. some of those old transformer machines took upwards of 100 amp circuts to get max power.

joconnor

Active User
Registered
If you can post the serial # I can cross it to the Miller model that it likely matches. I may have a manual for it also if you need one.

Charley Davidson

Active User
Registered
So here's what I got, gonna load it tonight and bring it to my shop tomorrow. It does require 100 amps for full power, this monster weighs 736 pounds Airco Tig Welder (5).JPG Airco Tig Welder (4).JPG Airco Tig Welder (2).JPG Airco Tig Welder (1).JPG Airco Tig Welder (5).JPG Airco Tig Welder (4).JPG Airco Tig Welder (2).JPG Airco Tig Welder (1).JPG

kvt

Active User
That is a beast, but is should make some nice welds. DO you know of a good miller board or anything, I have an old miller gas powered welder, that has a Tecumseh engine, that has a module out. And I cannot find one.

joconnor

Active User
Registered
That machine is Miller built and compares to a Syncrowave 300. If the bad module in the gas drive is the idle control module it can probably be rewired to use a Miller legend module.

Charley Davidson

Active User
Registered
I'm wondering/thinking it might be best to sell/trade this machine for a smaller more efficient/practical tig welder. Advice?

GarageGuy

Active User
Registered
That machine isn't nearly as old as I was expecting. It looks like it has digital displays, high frequency, gas, water... it looks like an awesome machine! Did it come with a foot pedal and leads? Any other accessories? I would keep it and use the heck out of it!

GG

Charley Davidson

Active User
Registered
Came with everything & I already had a nicer torch and a water cooler. I'm just thinking it's a bit large for my shop both in size and power requirements

Ulma Doctor

Infinitely Curious
Hi Charley,
that's one hell of a welder, if i lived closer i'd buy it from you!
you can most likely use it for all but the thickest of materials on a 50 amp circuit
i would imagine you should be able to weld at 150 amps without significant problems

Charley Davidson

Active User
Registered
I'm gonna try and get it wired up this week and check everything out, then I'll make a rational decision on what to do with it

astjp2

Active User
Registered
Run it!

Charley Davidson

Active User
Registered
I also have this freshly rebuilt water cooler I bought a while back with another tig welder, Benny is gonna come over one day this week and help me wire it up and check it out
Airco Water cooler.JPG

Uglydog

Active User
That is alot of welder.
Heed bcalls warning. TIG draws (demands) more amps than other processes.
Regardless, it will only draw as much as you ask.
While it may brown out your entire neighborhood if you floor the pedal, if you are careful you will have many years of successful bead come out of her.

Daryl
MN

KBeitz

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
Naa... Thats not old.... This is old...

Oldest welder.JPG

joconnor

Active User
Registered
It was built by Miller in 1979 and is comparable to a Miller Syncrowave 300. It does have HF, and is a great machine.

Silverbullet

Registered
Registered
Hope she's working real well, great machines are hard to come by. My father told me once when I wanted to sell something bigger then I thought I needed , quote ,,, if you sell it you'll be sorry someday... and oh my god I was such a fool then . Don't sell it...

[6]
[5] [7]