New restoration project! 12" Craftsman lathe.

I look forward to seeing how your lathe performs after it's mounted and leveled.

I have a 10F and it does everything I ask of it. My only problem was with the chuck that came with the lathe, which is the exact same 5 inch Cushman that you have. After a lot of futzing around, I found that the jaws were bell-mouthed but a tune up with the tool post grinder fixed that.

Great job on the restoration!

I am sending the chuck, bought on eBay, back because it was misrepresented on it's condition. After cleaning and lubing the jaws still would not move. Someone had replaced the jaws and were a mismatch to the chuck. I'm just going to buy a new 6" scroll chuck.

WOULDN'T YOU JUST KNOW IT! I found these parts laying behind my bench grinder! Now I have three rear saddle gibs (accidentally ordered two), two rear saddle gib plates and two cross feed nuts! That was a waste of about $70+ bucks spent with eBay. Haven't figured out where the horseshoe shaped shim goes yet but probably between headstock and backgear mount. Only have one shim though and should be two. Too big to be used behind the apron mitre gear. Gives me hope that I can find the missing nuts and bolts!

Attachments

• 20240426_111503.jpg
    20240426_111503.jpg
    989.1 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Depending on how many wifey "honey do's" that come up, I plan on getting the Crafty 6" off the table. Gonna be a major task with all the heavy stuff I have on the shelve below it. I think I'm going to switch 1/2 hp motors from the Crafty 6" to the 12" lathe. That cast iron motor is just to darn big and heavy. Glad my table in on retractable wheels so I can move it around the shop when putting the 12" back together.

UPDATE 4/28/24:
"DANG IT!" Just cant't make any headway on installation of my new lathe! Due to my neglecting the storm door on the patio, for years, that project has taken priority! The hinges failed and door wouldn't close. I know this should be an easy fix but I didn't want to spend the money for a new door. (Cheap Charlie) I replaced the hinges, even though not designed for replacement as well as door jam woodwork. "Bubba Redneck" has to finish this job tomorrow.

Back