New restoration project! 12" Craftsman lathe.

Can someone tell me if my bearing dust cover and oil seal is installed properly? Yes the oil holes are aligned on the dustcover cups. "Seems" like the spindle gear end oil seal, (spacer 10A-6), sticks out too far and won't go in any further and on the nose end the dust cover stick too far out! Could anyone post me a pick of their seals? The way they currently are don't believe they will impede anything. ( Hope, if wrong, I don't have to tear the head all the way down just for the oil seals and dust covers.) Thanks

Update 4/16 @ 1:40pm. Just watched a Tubalcain video and it "appears" that I have done it correctly.

Attachments

• 20240416_081153.jpg
    20240416_081153.jpg
    394.9 KB · Views: 11
  • 20240416_081227.jpg
    20240416_081227.jpg
    454.5 KB · Views: 11
  • 20240416_092315.jpg
    20240416_092315.jpg
    396.6 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
OK. I guess that the "standard" 3-jaw for the 10" and 12" is probably a 6" so a 5" should be close enough. About 10"is the largest 4jaw that you should use on a 12" lathe. If you run the jaws out far enough to strike the ways, you have them out too far to safely run anyway.
I found all my chucks and measured them. The largest is a 4-jaw 8" 1.5x8 tpi, one 4-jaw 4", one 3-jaw outside clamping 4", one 3-jaw with broken straight shaft arbor, and one 4" import 3-jaw on the Crafty 6" lathe. Besides the 8" I'd guess they are all for the 6" lathe.

Down to the last three main assemblies to clean and paint. The apron, countershaft assembly and tailstock will hopefully get done tomorrow.

Just bought an old 5" Cushman 3-jaw 1.5x8 tpi. Hope it's not all worn out cause there is no refund.

s-l1600 (1).png

It's really been a tiring past four days getting everything cleaned and painted! "YEA!" It took one full day just to do the saddle and the cross slide. Next move, when my bones and muscles heal, will be to remove the Crafty 6" from the shop and get chip pans and 42" lathe bed bolted on the table. As I assemble everything it will be checked over once again and lubed. Still didn't find the loose nuts and bolts so a hardware store visit may be necessary.

20240418_132305 (1).jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
And I did and it is now 02:30 Tuesday. Correct me if I'm wrong but does not the "new" back gear assembly include the gear to replace the one with the two broken teeth?

And I did and it is now 02:30 Tuesday. Correct me if I'm wrong but does not the "new" back gear assembly include the gear to replace the one with the two broken teeth?
(ARE YOU A NIGHT OWL?) Well as mentioned somewhere, I bought a whole used back gear assembly. (See post #44) I ordered the small gear and will replace it and sell as refurbished back gear assembly. The only thing missing now is the thread counter. I checked with Clausing Lathe and they have all the individual parts for $60.

Oh noooo! I just remembered I still have to clean up and paint the motor! "DRAT!"

One thing that I need to mention is that unless you plan to use one of the after-market multi-element belts, I don't see any drive belt around the spindle.

Last edited by a moderator:
"GREMLIN ALERT!" Couple days ago, when I took the saddle apart, I had the four gibb screws w/nuts, the gibb and brass cross slide nut! Now after an exhausting search this morning they can't be found. At the rear of the saddle I also discovered I'm missing the square gibb and flat bar and that hold the saddle to the lathe bed. I know I had them when I took apart the lathe, 2 years ago, but now gone! I made four new gibb screws for the cross slide and they work fine. I'll hold off ordering parts until I have the lathe assembled on the "off chance" these missing parts show up!

20240419_184618.jpg

Last edited:
OK. Be sure that you install the links to favor the forward direction.

Back