New restoration project! 12" Craftsman lathe.

Dang it! Just can't get ahead. The motor sheave securing bolt hole stripped and and now my machine no worky! Had to order a long drill bit so that I can make a new 5/16"x18 hole for the sheave. Standard jobber bits are too short and can't get the drill gun into the tight spot. I'll drill straight thru the old hole to the other side. Hard to believe the spindle wasn't cut for a keyway. The sheave has a wobble and is why the bolt got stripped out. May have to put bushing in the sheave to make it run true. The original spindle was one of the things I had to replace for the restoration as it was all chewed up. If my mill wasn't down, at the moment, I'd cut a keyway in the spindle. For now I'll drill a deeper spindle depression for the bolt to fit into. This is going to happen again without a keyway.

20240524_110854.jpg

My longer drill bits came in this morning. Drilled, tapped and back on line just waiting to make more scrap piles. No more wobble and belt tracks nicely. i don't know if this 3/8" change link belt, on the countershaft sheaves, is going to work. Seems like it's stretching and I have to take out a link now and then. I've inquired several times on the forum what they use on their countershaft and no replies yet!! 3/8" or 1/2" belt?

20240525_123953.jpg

Last edited:
I've seen your question before but don't know the official answer. My only suggestion is to call Clausing and order one. I realize that the factory will only have a one-piece V-belt but you don't actually have to use it if you don't want to. But you would have an official answer as to size. Or maybe this time someone else will answer.

I've seen your question before but don't know the official answer. My only suggestion is to call Clausing and order one. I realize that the factory will only have a one-piece V-belt but you don't actually have to use it if you don't want to. But you would have an official answer as to size. Or maybe this time someone else will answer.
It's not a question of belt length but rather belt width. "Maybe" the 3/8" quick link belt belt I'm using on the countershaft is not strong enough to prevent stretching. As mentioned before, on YouBoob, I see, Mr. Pete AKA Tublacain, is using 1/2" belt but looks like it does not fit the sheave well as it seems to sit high off the top. Original V-belts are 1/2" which I cut off when I got the lathe. Just wondering what others are using and if they have similar problem. Good to know about the QC Gear Box lead screw. Probably never happen that I would invest in a QCGB unless a deal came along that I just could not pass up.

Last edited:
THE NEVER ENDING STORY FOR THE POOR OLE CRAFTY 12X42 LATHE. SOME "PUT YOU TO SLEEP" READING AT NIGHT! LOL

Two more things to add to my "very long" thread. Ordered a Shar's 6" scroll chuck with the reversible 3-jaws. Also ordered a 1/2" quick change belt to put on the countershaft to headstock to see if it will solve my 3/8"stretching belt problem.
FOR JUST A LITTLE MORE MONEY, THAT I'VE ALREADY THROWN AT THIS LATHE, I PROBABLY COULD HAVE BOUGHT A NEW MATHEW'S PRECISION LATHE! BUT WHAT FUN WOULD THAT BE! LOL

Last edited:
Right! :cool: And you wouldn't have the audience that you've acquired, either!

Bought more goodies to feed the "beast." The chuck should be here Fri or Sat. The other two I already received. The dial holder is really well made "but" being made with magnets it sure attracts the swarf! Gonna have to put Saran Wrap around it so the particles can be easily removed. First time I've had a decent carbide parting tool and it really works great. Was only $29 with one bit. I still feel like I'm getting all dressed up and no where to go! Now I need a $2 project to justify the cost of my lathe! Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Not funny!

Attachments

• 6%22 Chuck.jpeg
    6%22 Chuck.jpeg
    34.6 KB · Views: 3
  • Dial holder.jpeg
    Dial holder.jpeg
    67.5 KB · Views: 3
  • Parting tool.jpg
    Parting tool.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 3
I noticed this morning that my lathe table has slight vibration due to lathe weight. My shop is 19 years old and made it with 2"x 8" floor joists on 16" vs. 18" centers. Table is also bolted to the wall studs. Has worked fine all these years even with South Bend lathes. It's just getting old I guess. Not much chance of digging under the shop to shore up the joists. Guess I'll have to move the lathe table and cut the 3/4" exterior plywood flooring between joist to allow shoring up. It's not all that bad but will have to monitor it. Also summer is here and thinking of getting a bigger AC unit. Right now I have a 5000 btu AC and it's just not keeping up.

THE NEVER ENDING STORY FOR THE POOR OLE CRAFTY 12X42 LATHE. SOME "PUT YOU TO SLEEP" READING AT NIGHT! LOL

Two more things to add to my "very long" thread. Ordered a Shar's 6" scroll chuck with the reversible 3-jaws. Also ordered a 1/2" quick change belt to put on the countershaft to headstock to see if it will solve my 3/8"stretching belt problem.
1/2" Link belt arrived and it's definitely not a fit for the sheaves on the countershaft or headstock. Gonna return back to ebay. I guess all in all the 3/8" link belt will have to work out. Sure as heck won't be using a factory belt belt where the headstock has to be disassembled. I put a piece of 2x4 under the motor to assist weight of motor sag that's stretching the belt. Bubba got skills! LoL. Other than belt problem the lathe is really running well and am quite happy with it. Did first auto cross feed facing cut and no dimple stub left so I guess my tool alignment is just fine.

Last edited:
Anyone know why my half-nuts don't clamp "right away" into the lead screw when I engage it? Don't see anyway of adjusting the engagement. Seems this will present a problem if I were cutting threads! The half-nuts are in great shape as well as the lead screw..

Back