New Sherline Product: MB Vise Fixture

Karl A

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Sherline Products has a new product: MB Vise Fixture. It comes in two versions. The prices are 20% off this month (October 2021):
https://www.sherline.com/monthly-special/

Here is the product page:
https://www.sherline.com/product/35...Jaws&attribute_inserts=Reversible+Jaw+Inserts

The vise fixtures hold stock on a mill table, using the t-slots. The cheaper version holds rectangular and square stock/parts only. The more expensive version also holds round stock/parts.

The "MB" stands for Mitee Bite.

Sherline has a instructional video on the vise fixtures, in two parts.

I didn't know of Mitee Bite vise fixtures before this new product introduction.

Last edited:
ps: I am not certain that the more expensive version, which holds Mitee Bite VersaGrip inserts, is good for holding rectangular and square stock/parts. The instructions state, "The Versagrip jaws (P/N 35535) are designed to hold round and odd shape parts. There are six 3/4" insert pockets on each jaw which will offer many different insert location options for holding your parts." I expect that it can, being that the VersaGrip page at www.miteebite.com has a photo showing inserts holding straight sides of part that is shaped like a triangle.
versa_grip2 on odd-shaped part.jpg

Last edited:
I asked Sherline Products, "Can the VersaGrip jaws be used to hold square and rectangular stock?"
They replied. "The Versagrip jaw design is meant for round or radiused parts. Rectangular stock should be held in the Reversible jaws or the Talon Grip jaws."

ps: I am not certain that the more expensive version, which holds Mitee Bit VersaGrip inserts, is good for holding rectangular and square stock/parts. The instructions state, "The Versagrip jaws (P/N 35535) are designed to hold round and odd shape parts. There are six 3/4" insert pockets on each jaw which will offer many different insert location options for holding your parts." I expect that it can, being that the VersaGrip page at www.miteebite.com has a photo showing inserts holding straight sides of part that is shaped like a triangle.
View attachment 382885
The page also shows them being used to hold rectangular stock. https://www.miteebite.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/vg2.jpg

I could have used these several months ago.
Eric

I ordered and received the more expensive version of the vise, which uses Mitee Bite VersaGrip inserts.

My first use of the vise was to mill out a section of a 5-inch x 6-inch x 0.25-inch 6061 aluminum plate, to make an auxiliary table for a 2-inch belt sander.
DSCF6224 Sherline VersaGrip vise.jpg
The vise worked well with the rectangular plate, on my Sherline 5400 mill. I found the set up easy. I was able to quickly remove and remount the plate, for a fit test fit on the belt sander. The small indents made by the VersaGrip inserts seemed to allow the plate to be remounted in the same position.

Prior to receiving the vise, I drilled and countersunk three holes in the plate. I think that drilling and countersinking the holes would have been easier if I had had the vise.

Afterwards, I had to remove aluminum chips from the holes/depressions of the vise. Next time, after mounting a work piece, I will place 2-inch wide masking tape on top of the vise.

Last edited:
Hi Karl,
It looks like this is a good way to hold small plates so you can face both sides and get the thickness where you want it to be. I have a number of parts which will be made from aluminum plate 1/4, 5/8 and 3/4 and I want to remove the excess thickness. It seems to me that the way you've done it allows for the work-piece to be out of square which would be ok for me because I will be cutting the actual part out of plate which has been finished both sides.

Once the work-pieces are surfaced, I would have clamped them down over 1/4 inch MDF and done the cnc run. Assuming I can avoid cutting the fixtures, It looks like I can just use the new clamps.

Is there anything you've discovered which you might share with us regarding schemes like the one I've floated above, especially if I've revealed some stupid part of my plan?

It also appears that this is not inexpensive. If I want to do what you did, it looks like I need the base Sherline bases, the Versagrip plates to mount on them and the inserts to grab the work-piece.

to wit: the Sherline MB Vise Fixture ($188 +/-), the MB Versagrip top jaws ($98 +/-) and two sets of insets at $70 each.

Is that about right?

Last edited:
Back