New shop tour.

HarryJM

Registered
Registered
Well I have finished up my 10'x14' wood shed to shop conversion and thought you all would enjoy a little tour. Over the past few years I have posted some questions concerning this conversion and I sure did appreciate everyone's feed back that helped me make some decisions.

I had a 100 amp panel installed with plenty of outlets as the inside has 3 240 volt 30 amp outlets, 14 110 volt 20 amp outlets, 1 240 volt 50 amp outlet and the outside has 1 110 volt 20 amp outlet and 1 motion detector light.

I noticed that the plywood floor was a little spongy after I moved all of my equipment moved to the center of the shed during electrical installation so I decided to reinforce the floor. The shed as delivered has a 4”x 6” skid running down each side about 20 inches in and I decided to build up another beam down the center. Prior to that I reinforced the floor down the middle with inline cross bracing. I build a beam out of several 2”x 6” board screwed together with structural screws supported on solid cement blocks which were spaced under the board end-to-end joints. The supports for the new beam were also staggered between the existing cement block supports under the 4”x6” skids.

I built a platform out of 2 pieces of 3' x 8' ¾ plywood under my Logan 820 and Burke to help distribute the weight as the original plywood floor is kind of flimsily. I'm going to skip insulating under the floor and will build a skirt around the perimeter.

I installed a bunch of soffit vents under the eaves and insulated the walls and ceiling with Rockwool Comfortbatt R-15 insulation covered with ¼ plywood with many thanks to my 2x4 helps as I work alone. I installed another window on the end opposite the doors and also insulated the double door entrance. The ceiling is only 7' 2” tall and I have and an oil filled heater that keep it nice and warm this last winter and I also I keep a small oscillating fan running 24/7 to keep the air moving. No AC as I like to keep it opened up during the non-cold months and the mature oaks provide plenty of shad after the leaves bud out.

I also installed two rows of LED lights which my old eyes really like during the day. They are a little too bright at night although that is not an issue as I only work there during the day (isn't retirement wonderful!). They are wired into a wall switch and can also be individually turned on/off with pull chain. My only lighting prior to the renovation was a clamp-on light.

My insulated double door entrance showing the window I installed.
20200329_103456.jpg
The thing with the disassembled motor is a 1956 Craftsman 10” floor saw that I'm trying to sell as I need the space and wood working does not interest me that much and I have gotten buy with my circular saw and jig quite. Next to the saw is my early 70's Delta Rockwell 17” drill press.
20200329_103526.jpg
On the floor next to the drill press is my Famco 3 1/2 arbor press rated at about 4 ½ tons which needs a stand.
20200329_103531.jpg
Attached to my new bench top (10' long, 27.5” wide, 1.75” thick southern yellow pine) is my late 70's Columbian D45-M4 5” vise. I bought non-swivel 4” Wilton machinist vise with the straight line lettering, that is sitting up in Chicago waiting for a ride down to Greensboro NC, and was going to install it but this virus put a hold on its journey down from Chicago so not sure what I will do with the Wilton.

Under the bench are my three tool boxes. The one under the vise is from the mid/early 70's that I used as my home tool box when I was a motorcycle mechanic. The one next to it is a Craigslist Craftsman Commercial Tool box that I bought from a retired heavy duty truck mechanic. The top for that one is under my Logan 820 lathe. And last but not least is my Harbor Freight box. The two brown tools boxes on the wall are old Kennedy 7 drawer machinist tool boxes.
20200329_103640.jpg
I have two 1956 Craftsman bench top grinders, one on the opposite end from the vise and the other one stored on one of my shelf's. I plan on using one for grinding with a coarse and fine wheel and the other one for a wire wheel setup. Under the window are my oxygen/acetylene tanks and I still need to buy hoses, regulators, etc. No welding inside the shop.
20200329_103647.jpg
On my back wall is my 1952 Logan 820 lathe that I will be making new gears for with my other Logan lathe and my Burke end mill.
20200329_103655.jpg
Next to my Logan 820 is my1944 Burke 126A horizontal end mill which came with vertical attachment, a Burke swivel indexing head without a name and one index plate and also original vise. I also have 6 involute gear cutters that came with the Burke that fit my vertical attachment.
20200329_103659.jpg
Next to my Burke is my 1946 Logan 200 lathe which I will sell after I have my 820 repaired and running. Under my Logan 200 and behind my motorcycle mechanics roller sear is my early 50's Craftsman power hacksaw with another one under it that I plan on fixing up and selling.
20200329_103709.jpg
Next to that is my Lincoln AC-225C arch welder, hand cart, 20 ton harbor freight shop press. Behind my 20 ton press is the frame and stand for my 1939 or 39 Delta 14” band saw which is another project to get up and running and once that is done I want to slow it down for cutting metal.
20200329_103715.jpg
Now for maybe the most important piece of equipment (the stereo system!) which consists of a Onkyo TX-SR605 receiver, a pair of Boston HD-8 speakers and a Pioneer SW-8MK2 Andrew Jones 100W 8" Powered Subwoofer. FYI – I usually do not listen to music when operating my equipment as that is a distraction from paying attention to what I am doing. I tend to be on the safe side (ear protection, face shield, etc) when operating equipment.

So now I have plenty to keep me busy getting my machines put back together and up and running. My shop time could be a plot for a Rod Serling “The Twilight Zone” television series where time does not exist.

Enjoy,
Harry

Nice job on the shop. You have a nice work space there.

Looks great, super tidy!

Wonderful shop and tour, Harry. You did a nice job cramming a lot of stuff into a relatively small space. I did notice that the bench tip is clean, though, and that just ain't right!

Congrats on your new shop!

congrats!! very nice place to work----I wish my shops were that neat. Dave

Thanks for the tour. Looks like you have all the bases covered. Really nice space. Mike

Very nice job you did . You gave me some ideas on things I should do to mine , thanks for posting , Al

Beautiful work, Harry! (From one organization freak to another.)

Regards,
Terry

Beautiful work, Harry! (From one organization freak to another.)

Regards,
Terry
I agree with you as clutter also seems to bug me. I try to keep things in their place although its hard to keep up with entropy as a year from now I will probably have several projects in various states of whatever waiting for whatever to arrive. I had almost 20 years of stuff that I had to sort through/toss/store and ended up with 4 used truck tool boxes for storage of gardening tool/etc and other stuff not used on a regular basis. Now I have to clear our under my shop again and make some decisions on what to keep/toss as that seems to be a never ending cycle.

Last edited:
Back