New spindle

Is that the sewing machine servo motor you were talking about getting?

Is that the sewing machine servo motor you were talking about getting?

Yes it is, $98 shipped. I just ordered pulleys today, will wait to order a belt once I get them installed.

John

So what do you think of it?
It looks like it will do the job and it's as much power as I had before. It'll have a 5:8 ratio with a 30T on the motor and a 48T on the spindle which shouldn't be an issue. Will know for sure in a week or so when I get everything hooked up.

John

Ever since someone updated an ancient thread about using one on a little lathe like my 9x20 I’ve been very curious about it. Not only does it sound like a good setup for my lathe, but even better for my bead roller. The idea of having a foot controller and being able to have good torque at super low speed is just what I’m looking for. That and relatively cheap :)

Where are you finding the cog pulley and belts?

Thanks for the link. Cog belts seem a really deep subject and one of those things that nomenclature will trip a noob like me up.

it would seem we are also working at opposite ends of the speed spectrum. Especially with the bead roller. I will be mostly working very slow needing lots of torque where I get the impression CNC is hi rpm. Sewing machines use lots of low end but not for extended periods I don’t think. It’s all very interesting.

The cog belts aren't too tough to decipher, these are 10mm wide and have a 5mm pitch, I'll be getting one from McMaster once I measure the length I need.

https://www.mcmaster.com/drive-belts/t-series-dust-free-timing-belts/

The speed/torque thing is why I wanted a servo drive unit, I eventually see this machine doing everything from running 1/8" router bits in plastic to power tapping holes in steel. I may end up with a better unit and drive but for right now I think this one will do what I need and not break the bank,

John

The cog belts aren't too tough to decipher, these are 10mm wide and have a 5mm pitch, I'll be getting one from McMaster once I measure the length I need.

https://www.mcmaster.com/drive-belts/t-series-dust-free-timing-belts/

The speed/torque thing is why I wanted a servo drive unit, I eventually see this machine doing everything from running 1/8" router bits in plastic to power tapping holes in steel. I may end up with a better unit and drive but for right now I think this one will do what I need and not break the bank,

John
That’s a tough spread to cover for sure. It’s a challenge to engineer this kind of thing all with one drive. I look fwd to updates on your progress! I have had so many projects in the way of completing the bead roller but it’s time has come. I opted to go with what have for low speed hi torque but not till I actually run it will I see how it will all shake out. I’m using a HF hand held pipe threader that I’ve been using to power other high torque machines like my rock sifter and hopefully pipe bender also. This sewing machine motor might be a better solution for the beader and pipe bender.

1604768817861.jpeg

Back