New Stand For 727 Mill

lpeedin

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I haven't posted much lately as work has picked up for the warm season. I haven't had as much time in the shop lately. However, I did get a new welder and have been fabricating a new stand for my 727 milk that gives me about 5" more height and is a tally square. Some of you may remember me reporting that my factory stand was not square and was causing issues for my mill.

Well, here are a few pics of the stand that I have been working on. It is a six legged design made from 1.25" square 16 gauge tubing. I know some may say that the 16 gauge tubing is too light, but with six legs and some gussets, I am confident it will be more than adequate.

My next step is to drill holes on some 2" × 2" × .250" angle iron for the feet and then to finish up some leveling feet. I will post some pics of that part when it is all done. y
20160313_152818.jpg
20160313_152829.jpg
20160306_202216.jpg

I haven't posted much lately as work has picked up for the warm season. I haven't had as much time in the shop lately. However, I did get a new welder and have been fabricating a new stand for my 727 milk that gives me about 5" more height and is a tally square. Some of you may remember me reporting that my factory stand was not square and was causing issues for my mill.

THE STAND LOOKS GREAT !

I PUT MY PM-272M ON A VIDMAR CABINET THAT ALSO ELEVATES IT 5" AND LOVE THE NEW HEIGHT .
IT IS SO MUCH EASIER FOR ME TO RUN NOW , I AM 6'2" AND THE CRANKS JUST FALL INTO MY HANDS .

I PLAN TO CUT A NOTCH IN THE FRONT LIP OF THE PM SUPPLIED STAND AND MOUNT AN ARBOR PRESS ON IT .
SPACERS MAY BE IN ORDER .

DSC_0547.JPG

I found this paint at the local hardware store and it seems to be a fantastic match for the PM Blue.

I found this paint at the local hardware store and it seems to be a fantastic match for the PM Blue.

THANKS ! I WILL BE NEEDING A GOOD MATCHING PAINT .

I THINK WITH SOME MODIFICATIONS , THE PM CABINET WILL MAKE A PERFECT ARBOR PRESS BASE .
HERE IS WITH A BITE TAKEN OUT OF IT SO SHAFTS AND BROACHING RODS HAVE A PLACE TO GO .

THE BITE WILL BE FRAMED ON THE SIDES WITH STEEL AND PAINTED TO LOOK LIKE IT WAS MADE THAT WAY .

THE OTHER CHANGE I AM PLANNING IS A HEIGHT ADJUSTABLE BUCKET TO CATCH FALLING OBJECTS .
THE METAL THEY USED FOR THE TOP IS 3/16" THICK !

DSC_0738.JPG

Rimspoke, I like your idea. I am planning to just use my factory base as a storage cabinet and some extra work top space. However, your idea has me thinking of using mine as my ammunition reloading station. I could store lots of reloading goodies inside and that would free up some cabinet space elsewhere. Thanks for the idea!

Dang, that stand is taller than your Ford SUV. J/K - great looking stand!

3dshooter80,
Your stand looks good! I suspect that you are a bit taller than I. I ordered a 727 without stand and fabricated my own. I used info from your other thread, discussions with Matt and scaled from photos of the mill to dimension my stand to fit me. I made it wider than necessary to allow for future storage.

Like my 1030V stand, I used 2"X2"X1/8" with 1/4" steel top. Now all I need is the mill. Matt tells me the 727's are due in any time. Let us know how your stand works out.

Jon

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk
3398f403483ffed5da2aaa32c3fceb39.jpg

Last edited:
THE PM-727M STAND SEEMS PERFECTLY DESIGNED FOR AN ARBOR PRESS .

THE LEDGE ON THE TOP AND THE FOOT AT THE BOTTOM SEEM TO SERVE NO PURPOSE
FOR A MILL BUT ARE EXACTLY WHAT YOU WANT FOR A PRESS .

IT WAS SIMPLE ENOUGH TO MAKE THE 3" x 4" NOTCH BY CUTTING & WELDING IN SOME NEW METAL .
THE RUST-OLEUM BRILLIANT BLUE PAINT DID A NICE JOB OF COVERING UP MY WORKMANSHIP .

DSC_0739.JPG

Last edited:
jclouden, I got a bit impatient and went with the thinner tubing for my stand out of pure excitement. I do wish that I had something thicker like what you have. That is the main reason I went with 6 leg, just to add a little bit more strength. The bulk of the load is still going to be on the front and rear 4 legs as those will be where the angle iron feet will attach.

Rimpsoke, I am glad that the paint worked out for you. It really does seem to be a great match.

Back