New Stand For 727 Mill

3dshooter80,
I'm sure that the 16ga will work fine. You braced it pretty well from what I can see. I had to order all my steel from my local metal supplier so I designed everything with fairly heavy stuff. The stand weighs about 180 lb and it was fun moving it from my welding shop to my basement shop over 75 ft of gravel drive.
Jon

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

Stand is finished and the mill has been set on top. I leveled everything as best I can. I havent milled anything yet, but overall I think it is going to work out well. There does seem to be some minor vibration, buy nothing crazy. I plan to use it a while to get a good feel for it before I try to make any changes.
20160320_182744.jpg
20160320_182744.jpg
20160320_164139.jpg
20160320_183613.jpg

HOW DO YOU LIKE THE HEIGHT ?

I FOUND THAT MINE SHAKES A BIT WHEN I USE RAPID TRAVEL .

I love the height. I am 5'11" and the machine is approx 5" higher than on the factory stand. Since I uploaded these pics. I have pulled the machine off the stand and am now adding more bracing to the stand. I will put more pics up when I am done. This should take the flex out of the stand.

Last edited by a moderator:
HERE IS THE ENCO ARBOR PRESS ON THE PM MILL STAND .
A MATCH MADE IN HEAVEN & NOT HARD TO MODIFY .

I CAN KEEP THE TOOLING AND BROACH SETS IN THE CABINET UNDERNEATH
SO THIS IS A WINNER ALL AROUND .

DSC_0810.JPG

Any idea how much that arbor press weighs? That thing is a beast!!

Any idea how much that arbor press weighs? That thing is a beast!

IT's NOT THAT BAD AT 150 POUNDS
THAT MAKE IT LESS THAN 1/3 WHAT THE PM-727M MILL WEIGHS .
THE STAND IS MORE THAN UP TO THE JOB .

WE GOT IT UP THE STAIRS IN PARTS TO HELP MAKE THE JOB EASIER .

I got the stand braced up with some additional gussets as well as leg to leg bracing halfway up the legs. I got everything painted blue again and have the mill mounted on the stand. Everything is much tighter now and seems good to go. Over the weekend I was able to re-tram everything from scratch. I started with setting the column straight in x and y using a precision square clamped to the table and then indicating off of it as I moved the head up and down. Then I retrammed the spindle to table using my self made dual dial incidator tramming aid. I did end up shimming between the head and the carriage at the top to get the spindle in tram as it was showing about .005 tilted back away. I am extremely happy with how things turned out with the stand.

On a side note, my weekend was pretty eventful. Friday evening my power went out at the house. When I checked the panel, I instantly smelled something burning. It was obvious that the main breaker had gone out. I could also see signs of overheating on the panel itself. I got an electrician scheduled for the next morning. When he first arrived, he thought it was just the main breaker that went out and he went to get another one from his shop since Lowes or Home Depot didn't have any like it. Upon returning, he came back he removed the main and went to clean the main lug and it fell off in his hand. It was then that he could tell that the buss bar was toasted all the way through. So, now I am the owner of a completely new pane and meter socket. Of course, nobody had a Siemens panel in stock so he had to buy all new breakers. $1,800 later the power was back on. The good thing is that nothing too bad happened. I had added a 50 amp circuit for my welder and a couple of 20 amp circuits for other stuff in the garage. He said all of my work was up to code and didn't cause the issue. He thinks there had been a problem in the box before as there were actually two different screws connecting the main feeds. I have only owned the house for about 2.5 years so it appears that there had been a problem with the panel before I bought the house. I'm just glad my family and home are safe.

Back