New surface plate and height gauge

Analias

Active User
Registered
I finally got around to picking up a surface plate (18" x 12" x 3") and a 12" dial height gauge. It looks like the plate arrived with a corner ding (grrrr). Somehow I don't think it happened on the boat from China.

Also, when I try to zero out my height gauge on the surface of the plate the reading on the rule is off by ~1/16". Is this normal for a dial height gauge? The rule appears to be fixed. The only adjustment I seem to be able find is the 5mm hex head screw attaching the vertical rail to the base. Removing the screw shows that the internal hole looks like it's meant to be adjustable, but the vertical rail is very firmly fixed in place. How does one zero a dial height gauge so the rule reading looks right?

I realize I'm risking what ever accuracy the height gauge had to begin with by loosing screws, but it already seems to be whacked out of the box. I only spent $130 on it from Amazon.

-Freeman

I have an 18" Shars vernier Hg that has a screw type fine adjuster at the top of the column.

Do you have 2 different height gauge blocks? the absolute measurement is less importatn than it measuring the difference between 2 heights accurately. We can always fix an offset. easy-peasy...

Sounds like you have a vernier height gauge. Can you post a photo?

If I'm understanding this correctly , why couldn't you either shim or machine the scriber to get the vernier closer ?

If I'm understanding this correctly , why couldn't you either shim or machine the scriber to get the vernier closer ?

This being my first height gauge I didn't want discount my ignorance being the problem. It usually is. It just seemed extreme to me that you would need to modify the device in such a "course" way. I was expecting much more "fine" tuned.

I once heard it pointed out that most machining and tool products from China are "finish it yourself" projects. This may be the case here. It just feels so crude to do that to a precision measuring device.

The scriber isn't a precision measuring device , the dial is . I can alter a Starrett vs. a B&S vs. a SPI to make them accurate . You do it all the time as none of these height gauges follow a standard .

Even if you remove the screw the vertical won't move? There should be some sort of adjustment for using different scribers...or not...and that's why it was $120.

Back