New surface plate and height gauge

Looks to me that the pointer is connected to the height gauge with a ring and screw.
You could add a shim between these to bring the pointer to zero and then adjust the height gauge to zero, also.

when I try to zero out my height gauge on the surface of the plate the reading on the rule is off by ~1/16"
Which way is it off? When the scriber is resting on the surface plate and (I assume) the dial is reading zero, is the error about PLUS 1/16" or about MINUS 1/16"? Depending on which, you can shim the scriber up or shave it down. But it seems to me, you don't really need to do that: As has been pointed out, the most important consideration is the determination of 'relative' difference. I would think the most straightforward solution would be to adjust the dial to read zero when the scribe is resting on the surface plate; then your height reading for the part you're measuring would be accurate to the range of the dial (0.001") regardless of what the rule reads.

Regards

@Analias first, you didn't spend $1200 on it, so expect to have to work on it. This is really very simple. We can't see the measurements you are seeing so I'm going to have to cover both possibilities:

IF the reading +1/16" when the stylus is all the way down, then they included the wrong stylus. You can mill off 60 thou off the BOTTOM of the detachable stylus and lap the last 2 thou to fit.

IF it is reading -1/16" when the stylus is down, then you need to add a 1/16 shim to the bottom of the detachable stylus. no biggie.

For 120 bucks, you have a good hobbyist value there, and you have to expect screw ups like that. My B&S cost $2600 when new, and I paid near $1000 for it used. If you need a professional tool, that's what they cost. Even that one only reads to .002 full scale at 18"...

You did well! and you can expect it ti read +/- .002 or .003 over the intervals you're interested in.

Back