New To Coolant

Dman1114

Active User
Registered
Hello....

Ive decided that i would like to add coolant to my band saw and to my lathe.....

My mill is already setup . But i have no clue what coolant to Buy....

I mostly work with aluminum.... with the occasional steal work...

can someone recommend something that i can use in my home garage... and that wont rust out my machines

Thanks

I use Rustlick in my horizontal bandsaw and to a limited extent on my milling machine. If you use a lot of this coolant on your mill my experience is it will lead to some rusting underneath the milling machine vise. I just keep a squeeze bottle with coolant and apply limited amounts when using it on my mill --- Jack

move and clean under vise after coolant,I do.Relocate to different spot to spread wear pattern.

At skool we buy environmentally friendly aqueous cutting fluid. It is supposed to be able to be disposed of down the drain but our chem safety people require us to store the used stuff in 5 gallon pails to be disposed of. Their reasoning is that it is contaninated by metal and any cosmolene type preservative on the steel.

Rust and discoloration of paint is the major setback, the instructors never made the students wipe doun the equipment after they used it. In all my years in mfg, I can cpunt on one hand the number of times I was required to use coolant, mostly big grinders and die blocks. D2 and the like was always cut and worked dry, some steels don't like coolant, makes it harder for the sawblade to cut them for some reason

NOTHING beats a good cutting oil.

I spent quite some time with a Swiss style lathe running oil, it worked well smoked and stunk and you flat felt oily at the end of shift. The company couldn't control it even with Smog Hog. Finally went with Blaser Cut and never looked back, mix with water supposedly safe enough to drink. There are two versions for soft and hard water ignore the suggested mix and mix it just to where it starts feeling slick between your thumb and finger. Works great and doesn't stain aluminum.

I have no experience with coolant and saws. However I do use Rustlick 5050 in my CNC mill at 20:1 mix ratio and like it a lot. The price is right when purchased through Enco with one of their discount offers. Haven't had any rust issues with the mill or my parts but do have table staining underneath the vice and fixtures but you will probably get staining no matter what coolant or cutting fluid you use.

Tom S.

Back