New to hobby and have a Mx 750 unboxed today

Abody711

Registered
Registered
Just starting on the hobby a little late (71 young) in the hobby. I do a lot of work on my own guns and need lathe to complete projects at times. So rather than farm it out as in the past, I want to do it myself. Unboxed the Mx 750 this morning. The only issue that bothers me is the slop in the longitude hand feed. Has anyone addressed the issue? Should I buy a cheap set of cutter to break while learning or get a good set and hope. What’s the best manual to purchase to use as a reference.

Welcome, sometimes you can find good quality resharpened bits on Ebay to learn on. the cheap gold China ones may not hold up, and give a bad learning experience. I didn't find a link for the MX 750 to see what you have. The gurus will be along, and can address this better.

Welcome to HM, Abody.

I have never heard of an Mx 750. Until we know what it is, recommending cutters will be difficult.

It is an 8x29 mini lathe. 1.5 pass thru bore. 1.1k motor. Bought off eBay but it did not list the model in the listing. Appears to have capability of holding up to 1/2 bits.

I'm sorry I was expecting a Milling machine.

High speed steel tool blanks ground to what you want work good on smaller lathes and are not too expensive. Search the articles for how to grind a lathe tool. There have been some very good posts on the subject. It's not as hard as it may look and a simple 6 inch bench grinder will work.

I agree, on an 8" lathe, HSS would probably give you the best results and bang for the buck. The main problem with this is that you have to grind them and I would encourage you to learn how to do that but what do you do in the meantime so you can learn to use your lathe? If I were you, I would take a hard look at this kit. It uses HSS inserts but can I'm pretty sure it will also take common CCMT and CCGT inserts and all of them will work on your lathe. Before buying it, I would check with AR Warner to be sure it can take carbide inserts, too.

While your lathe can take up to 1/2" tools, I suggest you stick with 3/8". It is more than rigid enough for your lathe.

Here is a picture of the lathe as shown on eBay. It did not say it was an mx750 but is labeled as such.
CE05A7BA-80EA-40F8-8A11-DEEAC2AB5319.jpeg

Speed control has ghosts. Erratic. Is it a common problem?
they have DC motors in them.
the variable speed drives on these lathes are unfortunately kinda poor.
they do the job most of the time, but since they are made to a low price point- expect some problems down the road.
all is not lost, you can always replace the faulty stuff with another form of PWM ( pulse width modulation) controller for not a lot of money when calamity ensues

Back