New to machining, bought an old sheldon.

Mdmorgan19

Registered
Registered
Hi all, new here, just bought this sheldon. Look forward to learning all I can about it. I own a lot of old military equipment, vehicles and stuff, so when I came across this I had to have it.

Attachments

• 20210919_135010.jpg
    20210919_135010.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 85
  • 20210919_135019.jpg
    20210919_135019.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 74
  • 20210919_135030.jpg
    20210919_135030.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 78
Is the quill for the tail stock around?
Taper attachment,
This should be fun.

Is the quill for the tail stock around?
Taper attachment,
This should be fun.
The quill, is that the part that moves in and out when you turn the hand wheel? Has inch marks on it? It's there, just all the way in. I have a few different dead centers for it but need a drill chuck. There's a taper attachment installed and an extra one laying in the tray just below the tail stock.

Excellent. I don't think I've ever seen a vanishing quill.
They are very important.

I have same lathe except over head drive. On same cabinet. Off of mobile machine shop mounted behind driver of military deuce and a half. Mine has war finish tags. Yours should have the spring loaded single bolt at tail stock end. Wish mine had taper attachment. You have a nice machine

First off, welcome to the forum!

Looks like you have a nice little project there. As you dive into it, keep those posts coming.

I would like to get a 3 jaw chuck for it, anything I should know before buying?

Minor point but the common name whether it disappears or not is "ram". Quills are found on drill presses and vertical mills, and rotate.

I don't believe that I ever saw a tailstock ram that would retract that far. Unless you know better, I would suspect that either the ram has been shortened or it is for a different machine. Most won't retract much more than flush.

Back