New to me 10" Lathe.

9FINGERS

Registered
Registered
Howdy all!

I'm currently in the planning stages to make a tail stock.
I have a 10 " lathe.
can anyone give me some measurements?
like the length of the quill and its OS diameter?
does this size have a Morris taper 2 ?
and what is the IS diameter of the quill?

i'd also like to connect with someone that lives in my area
Douglas county, Oregon..

Re: What 'size' tool holders to buy?

Howdy all!

Hi 9Fingers,
Looks like you have accidentally posted your question in someone else's thread. You might want to try again in a new thread.
FYI I have an atlas 10" and the tail stock has a No 2 morse taper. The head stock is a number 3.
David

9FINGERS,

First, it is considered polite to sign your posts.

Second, I moved your post into a new thread. The common term for starting a new thread in an existing one is "hijacking". A practice that should be avoided.

Third, as pollardd wrote, the Atlas 10" lathe (you didn't say but I'm assuming that you have an Atlas) all have a tailstock with a 2MT (Morse Taper) female socket in the quill. However, I can't think of even one good reason for trying to make a tailstock for an Atlas 10" from scratch. There are too many of them available on eBay to even consider it. Plus out of the 20 odd pieces or parts found in a typical tailstock, aside from the commercial bolts used which it would be foolish to make instead of buy, there are only 4 that you could make on a lathe anyway.

Robert D.

Howdy all!

I have a 10 " lathe.
can anyone give me some measurements?
like the length of the quill and its OS diameter?
does this size have a Morris taper 2 ?
and what is the IS diameter of the quill?

i'd also like to connect with someone that lives in my area
Douglas county, Oregon..

Welcome 9Fingers!

A tailstock like you need would be a really cool project to see you do, but it is very challenging, and you would probably want quite a bit more experience before trying to tackle it. It wouldn't be much fun to do all that work for one that you wouldn't be able to use.

As Robert mentioned, tailstock like this are all over the place on Ebay in varying conditions, and the most used ones would most likely be better than one you could make at home.

This is said with complete respect- just want you to enjoy your machine!

But if you are compelled to make your own- just start a thread here and tell your story, ask lots questions, and enjoy the learning process! We share lots of projects of all kinds here.

Bernie

Back