New to me 10L

vinnito1

Registered
Registered
Hi all,

After about a year of looking, I finally was able to find a lathe that wasn't over priced, worn out, or a work in progress. I ran across an add in facebook classifieds for a 9X24 southbend lathe, but the add didn't provide much more description with only 1 photo. The lathe had been forsale for at least a month before I contacted the seller. I assumed that the reason for not selling was the asking price of $1500 and location. Fortunately for me, I was down at my parents house for the 4th of July weekend and the lathe was only a 20 minute drive away. I called the seller and arranged a time to look at the lathe.

Talking with the seller, the lathe was a gift from a friend who could no longer use it and had been sitting in his shop untouched for 2-3 years. The friend/previous owner was a model maker of steam engines and had owned it for at least 20 years. Now, since this lathe was made in 1942, I wondered who else owned it. The seller was moving soon and needed it gone. Since I was the only person to look at it, I figured I could negotiate the price down by quite a bit.

What wasn't in the add, was this is a 10L tool room south bend that came well tooled. It didn't have a 3 jaw chuck, but did have a 4 jaw chuck, came with a 20-30 piece Rivett 5C collet set and south bend collet closer, a milling attachment, micrometer stop, taper attachment, 2 face plates, several drill chucks, lots of drill bits & end mills, high speed steel cutting tools, and much much more. The bed didn't have any wear grooves and it seem everything was in good condition minus a broken apron hand wheel and belt tension lever. After a few minutes of negotiating, I got the price below $700 and then picked it up the next day.

Can anyone tell me what type of cabinet the lathe is attached to? I haven't seen any photos of a cabinet that looks like this. This is the photo of the lathe in my dad's shop waiting for me to come pick it up.
20190706_144449.jpg

I plan on making parts for my CNC conversion for my G0704 and car build. I passed on several grizzly lathes based on my first hand knowledge of the build quality of their products. In fact I am building a new column assembly to completely replace the one supplied with the mill. The first major project I plan to make on the lathe is a 4.5" 3 stage pneumatic draw bar for my CNC conversion. Once I finish the cnc conversion, i'll start on the car that this will be sitting next too in my garage:)

Ok, I'll say it.

You Suck!!!!

Nice looking machine, I can't say what the cabinet is but I'd guess it's factory supplied with the machine. Even with it's limitations I'm glad I bought (and fixed up) my Seneca Falls Star 9X5, I'm sure there are some Chinese tools that are just fine but there's no beating that old American iron. I hadn't seen your CNC conversion thread but will now be watching it closely as I move forward with my project.

Cheers,

John

From an asking price of $1,500 to "below $700" in a few minutes? Yikes. Sound like in a few more minutes, he would have been paying you to take it AND delivering for free!

And it "came with" hundreds of dollars worth of accessories.

Craig

I don't think that is a SB cabinet but no matter, you got a good deal
Enjoy

Yep, you stole it!

If the lathe has a badge with "catalog number" post that. We may be able to look it up in the original catalog and see what stands they offered new.

Congrats.

-brino

Ok, I'll say it.

You Suck!!!!

Nice looking machine, I can't say what the cabinet is but I'd guess it's factory supplied with the machine. Even with it's limitations I'm glad I bought (and fixed up) my Seneca Falls Star 9X5, I'm sure there are some Chinese tools that are just fine but there's no beating that old American iron. I hadn't seen your CNC conversion thread but will now be watching it closely as I move forward with my project.

Cheers,

John

Someone had to take it, might as well be me :)
I hope to do minor repairs and a few upgrades. Depending on time, how well it/me make parts, I may do some sort of restoration. For some reason, I like the look of these lathes when they get a fresh coat of paint and name plates polished up.

I saw your built the other day, if you want to exchange ideas on the conversion process, send me a PM. I already have the G0704 X/Y axis all modeled up in CAD for linear rails. I have to keep reminding myself I have to do the upgrades in stages.

Yep, you stole it!

If the lathe has a badge with "catalog number" post that. We may be able to look it up in the original catalog and see what stands they offered new.

Congrats.

-brino
Brino,

I don't have the serial number stamped on the bed, but I do have a name plate info off the side cover over the headstock gears. Swing of the lathe is 10L, length of bed 4, and catalog no 8187AN.

Vince

Back