New to me 11 inch logan

Chris Hamel

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I just acquired a logan model 957 lathe. Prior to this lathe, I have using a nine inch South Bend, so this is quite an upgrade. Everything seems to be in good working order. It has a three phase motor with a 220 v converter which seems to work fine. Came with a bunch of accessories, including steady rest, follower rest, taper attachment and a six jaw tru-set chuck as well as a 4 jaw and a three jaw outside chuck. The six jaw chuck seems to be pretty worn. According to the serial number it was made in 1951.
I was curious if anybody out there is set up to make the adapter to convert the spindle taper to mt3. Best I can tell my lathe spindle is 2 degrees taper. If anybody out there can make one, I would pay for your time. Logan actuator's site has one, but they want 157.00.

I am including a picture.

Attachments

• 20210502_191830.jpg
    20210502_191830.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 49
I dunno, why do you want a spindle adapter? You don’t really use much tooling in the spindle. If you want to use 5c collets, $157 for a spindle adapter that fits the proprietary spindle in that machine isn’t a bad price.

Sometimes I turn between centers. Also I like to clean up my tail stock centers by putting them in the spindle.

Continuing to work with my "new" lathe. Found a few problems. I was checking on the headstock gears which seemed a bit noisy and discovered the 60 tooth idler gear that feeds onto the lead screw has several missing and damaged teeth. Amazing thing is it still works without skipping or binding. I am going to make a new gear out of aluminum. I borrowed a set of 16 do gear cutters from a friend. I have cut gears before, but 60 teeth is really going to take patience. Decided to use aluminum in case the fit isn't perfect it will wear instead of the cast iron.

Other issue I am having is keeping the gibs adjusted on the cross slide. They seem to want to loosen up by themselves. I am thinking of buying longer set screws and adding jam nuts. Anybody else have this problem. Also is there anyway to take out the backlash on the crossfeed knob?

You apparently have a taper attachment. Why not just convert the spindle taper to 3MT and be done with it?

On the gib screw lock nuts, that is the obvious thing to do. It probably came with them and some numbnuts changed the screws and threw the nuts away.

Last edited:
I was thinking the same thing about the taper attachment. Never used one so it will be a learning experience.

I'd like to see your method of cutting the gear!!

Not going to do it for several days, but when I do I post some pictures.

As far as I know, Logans came with lock nuts on the gib adjusters. Mine did.

On mine (Model 200), I can get some of the backlash out of the crossed by loosening the outer nut on the
handle and adjusting the inner nut a bit. It's a touchy deal, but I've improved it that way. I'm not certain
that your's is the same design as mine however.

Back