New to me 1939 Atlas 101.07301

topcat41468

Registered
Registered
I recently acquired an atlas 101.07301 sn 3645. Its been in a barn for 40 years. Its my first lathe and my project this winter to get it cleaned up and running.

lathe-1.jpg

I've started by pulling all the parts off the bed and then taking apart one assembly at a time and cleaning it up. The first assembly I tackled was the carriage. It came apart very easily with the excpetion of the half nut lever. I can not figure out how separate it from the half nut "wheel".
IMG_1965.jpg

The second item I cant get removed is the gear assembly that moves the carriage along the bed. again no obvious way to get apart.
IMG_1964.jpg

I also found the half nuts stripped. And before I realized it the pair I bought were M6-12a, not M6-12. However, I think the M6-12A will be better than the originals, except now I need to find the half nut carrier (m6-13a instead of m6-13).

The only other thing that is an issue on the carriage is the ball crank for the traverse is broken. but I can deal with that for a while.

Any hints on how to get those couple parts apart and where I could find an M6-13A would be greatly appreciated.

I think this is going to be a pretty fun project and I'll learn some new skills along the way.

Todd

AFAIK, the only way to get those assemblies apart is destructively. Unlike the 10" and 12", the half-nut operating lever never got modified so that the lever was held to the shaft with an oval head machine screw. In the case of your carriage drive gear box, unless there is something wrong with it that is not visible in your photos, I don't see any reason to disassemble it.

The half nuts and half nut guide were revised around 1940. Last I heard, Clausing still had both of the revised parts available.

Also, Zamak is not considered a "pot metal". Pot metal has no fixed formula and was so-named because it consisted of whatever scraps were lying around the shop. Typically, it contains a significant percentage of lead, which is not a constituent of any of the various versions of Zamak. The specific version that Atlas used is Zamak V. The "pot metal" claims date from the early 1930's and were typically pushed by one of Atlas's competitors, whose name I won't mention. But they certainly lost a lot of business to Atlas. The "Zinc Pest" problem, caused by impurities in the Zinc feed stock, certainly caused some problems for Atlas.

Is there a reason the slot/window in the M6-13 couldn't be widened to the dimension of the M6-13A?

Hi Todd: you need a small 2-jaw puller to remove the half-nut lever. You might be able to wedge it off however with a pair of screwdrivers. A good modification would be to add a setscrew to the lever to make reinstallation easier
The gearbox is held by two pressed in pins, you should be able to wedge it off also using a sharp knife blade. A bit of liquid wrench might help.
Zamak is definitely not pot metal, as Robert will quickly point out :cupcake: it's an alloy of very pure zinc, aluminum, magnesium, and copper (kupfer, in German)
-Mark

Back