New To Me 9 Inch Model 936

macernst

Registered
Registered
NOTE: Post moved into new thread.

hi this is my first post.
i dont want to confuse anybody about what the s means, and dont want to take over this thread. i will start a new one about my new to me 9 inch lathe, yes nine. it has the serial number 4416 s. maybe it means the overhead drive. i mean drive on top of the spindle.
excuse please my english, i am german.
ernst

2.jpg1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Ernst,

I think that this is a Model 936. The three-belt drive system was known as the Compound Drive, which Atlas made from about 1932 to 1938. Three or four have turned up either here or on the main Yahoo Atlas list. None had the belt guards.

The Vertical Countershafts in the 10" models that were being discussed don't look anything like the Compound Drive. Yours has a switch mounted in the headstock, and the middle version legs so I would guess that it is from 1937 or 1938. The one in the 1935 catalog had different legs.

Unfortunately, we don't have anything on the compound drive version in Downloads. The only thing that we have is on the 918, which had an early version horizontal countershaft.

Robert,
thank you for moving my post to a new thread. i will continue posting here. i got this lathe a few weeks ago. it was owned by a clock maker. it has a lot of attachments. the milling attachment has two vises, the original one and a bigger one. it also came with a home made dividing head for gear cutting. it was build with the blue prints atlas offered in the old catalog. all changing gears are there plus additional boston gears. it even came with a steady rest.
the lathe itself is in very good condition. i clean it with a light degreaser and it turns out like new. i was reading all the information on the yahoo atlas list, uk.lathe, here and on some other boards.
there is a nice video series in youtube for a nine inch atlas lathe. i bought a 1936 atlas catalog on ebay. it shows the lathe just like mine. should be here on monday.
i found out that there are not many of them around.
here are some more pictures, once i can post a link, i will link to my website where i document some other restauration projects like burke mill, south bend 9X48 and a lot of vintage commercial espresso machines form the 50-60.

ernst

5.jpg6.jpg7.jpg8.jpg

Looks cool, if you can buy Evaporust in Germany it will become your new best friend.

buy Evaporust in Germany?
coolidge, since a few years i moved to north california.
for rust removing i clean up with fine steel wool or 3m pads, and than use metal prep, low concentrated acid followed by flushing and than oil (balistol) or paste wax. works well with light and even deep rust. of course deep rust will always leave a rough surface some decolorisation and you will only get it shiny again when you remove a lot of material.
ernst

Hee hee - you would probably have less trouble finding Evaporust in Germany than in California.

I think that yours is about the 4th or possibly the 5th 936 to show up either here or on Yahoo. One of the owners had some early patent drawings that showed details of the Compound Drive. AFAIK, that is the only paper that has shown up on the 936. We do have the parts list for the 918. Some of the parts are the same as with the 936 but the 918 (same bed, the 18 referresto the Center-To-Center distance) had an early version 6 (instead of 8)-Speed countershaft instead of the compound drive. And didn't come with a compound tool holder.

coolidge, since a few years i moved to north california.
for rust removing i clean up with fine steel wool or 3m pads, and than use metal prep, low concentrated acid followed by flushing and than oil (balistol) or paste wax. works well with light and even deep rust. of course deep rust will always leave a rough surface some decolorisation and you will only get it shiny again when you remove a lot of material.
ernst

Well stop doing it the hard way and just buy some Evaporust, you can get it at Harbor Freight. Trust me on this ;)

robert,
you know a lot about those atlas lathe. i read one thread here in this forum, but cant find it again. it had those pictures of the drawing. i think this is a 936.
those are the links to the pictures.
http://www.hobby-machinist.com/attachments/lathe-spindle-jpg.87607/
http://www.hobby-machinist.com/attachments/lathe-1-jpg.87606/
i downloaded them but cant give any credit to the owner and poster.
maybe you can find out.
i checked the parts numbers and found most of them stamped in the casting parts
the legs of the bed shows the square ones, from the first model. i do have the download for the 918.
as for speeds: as far as i found out. i have a pulley with three different diameter on the drive and the same on the spindle, that makes 3 different speeds. than i can use the compound gear with 2 different settings this makes than 6 different speeds.
addition the pulleys on the motor and on the compound drive are 2 step. this doppels it to 12 different speeds.
the motor that came with the lathe was a 1/3 hp 1725 delta from i would say mid 50th. i have a time correct motor from 1938 a sears companion with the same specs that i will put on.
hope to have it up and running in 2 weeks.
ernst

.lathe 1.jpg

lathe spindle.jpg

Welcome to the happy world of Atlas lathes Earnst.
That lathe is astounding , if it had been owned by anyone other than a watch maker I doubt it would be in anywhere near as good a condition .
Thanks for putting up the pictures.

Dave

Back