New to me Central Machinery mill - dry as a bone

better-lathe-than-never

Registered
Registered
I bought this mill from a 2nd hand store, they just brought it in from Estate Sale - the owner passed away several years ago. The mill is in excellent condition but it hasn't seen oil in ages. My plan is to take apart the table, clean the surfaces with WD40 and then oil it with ways oil - same one I use for my lathe.

What else should I inspect/clean/oil to get it based-lined properly?

Attachments

• IMG_20220829_183356904.jpg
    IMG_20220829_183356904.jpg
    499.9 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_20220829_184601593.jpg
    IMG_20220829_184601593.jpg
    224.4 KB · Views: 118
Congrats! Check out this link, lots of good stuff in it about the same machine!

Read it to the end and then are 2 more follow chapters from the same guy that takes it all apart with lots of good pics:<)

What should the lead screw and the bronze half-nut under the tables be lubricated with - grease or way oil? I found a manual and it said way-oil but seems like a good application for molly-grease. Let me know -

Last edited:
I've looked at nearly all pics in those links above, but couldn't tell what was used on those bronze nuts holding the lead screws (X or Y axis). Oil or grease - there is definitely old caked grease in there now...

Never use grease on chipmaking equipment unless the lube schedule specifically calls for it. You may find grease in sealed sub-assemblies on some equipment, but that's the exception not the rule. The Rong Fu mills are made to be operated with an oil can in one hand. I recommend Vactra #2 for all of the ways and screws on that machine, and finishing every job with a paint brush (chip brush) to remove chips and spread oil.

Back