New to me Clausing 5310 - a little help please

agshooter

Registered
Registered
I just picked up my first lathe, an Atlas Clausing 5310 12x36. Machine ran well in all gears and most everything worked properly.
The clutch needs adjustment, per the owner it sometimes pops out when under heavy load. I played with the clutch and look at is as we operated it and it appears the linkage is just loose and preventing it from "camming" over into a solid locked position.
Any experience with that? Sound right?

Threading gear selector is finicky to slide left and right. Was worried, but then realized the shaft it slides on was gummed up, gears all look good.

Brings me to the power cross feed. Cannot get this lever to budge. Definitely have the half nut disengaged (lever down). Manual cross feed works fine, I do hear a faint clicking as it turns. Any ideas?

Got the cross feed unstuck, had some internal rust at the lever.

Clutch upon further inspection I am not so sure about.
The pin that pivots out of the way when the clutch is engaged has a sleeve on it. In the video you see the back side, on the front of the sleeve it is slit (thing roll pin). It appears that this slit catches on the clutch and rotates and then doesnt want to allow the clutch to stay engage.
I am only guessing here.
Other option is to bypass the clutch and figure out a way to have it locked in place. Thoughts?

Got the cross feed unstuck, had some internal rust at the lever.

Clutch upon further inspection I am not so sure about.
The pin that pivots out of the way when the clutch is engaged has a sleeve on it. In the video you see the back side, on the front of the sleeve it is slit (thing roll pin). It appears that this slit catches on the clutch and rotates and then doesnt want to allow the clutch to stay engage.
I am only guessing here.
Other option is to bypass the clutch and figure out a way to have it locked in place. Thoughts?
I wish I had something constructive to offer but I do not know Clausings.
I've watched the video a half a dozen times and still can't figure it out.
Is there an indent that it's supposed to engage with?
Can you snap some picts of the clutch/pin engaged and disengaged?

I am at a loss too. I cleaned it up and now it doesn't even want to engage fully. When the motor is on, that clutch pusher (cone shaped piece) is spinning on the shaft, as well as the bar that is to the left and the clutch plate it is attached to. Best I can tell, when the pusher engages, it pushes that pin outward and it rotates and locks in the clutch plate. What is odd is that there is no detent or anything that would set that pin in place.

I have recently brought home a 5310 that overall runs great, needs a few things but works good.I will try to get a good look at the clutch mechanism tomorrow and a vid if i can get the lighting good enough.Maybe a comparison will help figure out what's going on with yours.

Have to compress the video file...I'll try again.

Attachments

• IMG_20201030_124654121.jpg
    IMG_20201030_124654121.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_20201030_124729336.jpg
    IMG_20201030_124729336.jpg
    702 KB · Views: 19
I think I got it figured out. The slip ring DL-682 and DL-683 on mine are quite worn out. So I have some grey iron on order and will mill out a new one.

this thing is so worn down it has no more meat to push the clutch pusher in all the way to engage and seat.

Attachments

• 458169E1-921B-4F48-B04C-2BF46921F631.jpeg
    458169E1-921B-4F48-B04C-2BF46921F631.jpeg
    117.3 KB · Views: 19
  • E36B005E-8B51-4BFD-B1D5-809E11DF73BF.jpeg
    E36B005E-8B51-4BFD-B1D5-809E11DF73BF.jpeg
    119.9 KB · Views: 19
Glad you got it figured out. Looked at your first post and realized it was plain worn out. I have seen this part used on eBay.

Just throwing this out...

Being cast iron, wonder if you could build up with bronze and remill /turn it down?

Also may be make a nonmetallic shim/spacer and use a special adhesive to ‘glue’ it in.

Your Clausing is a nice find. Was it local? Your lathe is big brother to my 1946 Clausing 100 mk3 which has been in the family since 1960’s. We are not to far apart. I am about 30 miles north of Charlottesvilles.

Bob G.

Back