New to me Clausing 8520

It is normal for the motor to need to come to a stop before reversing. Sounds like it's wired correctly. It could be the start capacitor is weak or the wrong value or perhaps you are experiencing a voltage drop in the power line feeding the mill. Hard to tell which. Voltage drop issues tend to be worse when running on 120 volt circuits instead of 240 volts, which is recommended for motors 3/4 HP and above
-M
I didn't get a good look at the controller for the other motor

I'm gonna assume its the start capacitor for now. The housing holding it on the motor looks homemade, so the capacitor is prob not original. I'll do a little research and find out what's supposed to be on there. In the meantime I've ordered an MC-60 motor controller from ebay to see if that works better for the DC motor option.

As Mark said, having the motor continue to run in the same direction if you quickly move the motor switch from FWD to REV without pausing at OFF is normal operation for a single phase capacitor start motor. Because the centrifugal switch is open so the start winding gets no voltage applied. However... the motor switch is either defective or the wrong one. You should have to take your hand off of the switch while in the OFF position before you can then switch from OFF to REV. If it were a DC or 3-[phase AC motor, you would probably be replacing the switch and/or motor now.

Modern versions of these drum switches may have a ratchet mechanism to pause the handle between forward and reverse, as Robert mentioned. Many of the older ones don't have it from what I have seen. It's certainly a good idea
-M

I think those set screw securing nuts are called "jam nuts". Not 100% sure, but that's what some part of my brain is whispering to me.

As for the DC motor, that power supply will not be able to provide sufficient current, it's way too small. That looks like a 1 to 1 1/2hp treadmill motor, so an MC60 will probably run it fine. I've done several conversions, some of which should still be on here. They're real simple to wire up.

Back