New to me Clausing lathe

Oldseabee

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Know I'm the proud owner of a Clausing 13 in gap bed lathe. Came with lots of tooling. One a 3 jaw chuck. Collet drawbar and Collets. This is the round head geared lathe. 3 hp 3 phase motor. Runs nice and quite. Overall length is 71 inches I think. Ways are nice. Comes with lots of free chips, no salsa.
I invited Tom White who works as a machinst. He likes it too. Biggest thing is a good cleaning. Drain the oil and add fresh Mobile lube. It has 2 gearboxes protected by an oil bath. Came with a turret too that off the machine and I'll never use. Equipped with Collet drawbar and every Collet imagination.
Now my Logan needs to sell and then I can move this in. This is a model 6500.

Attachments

• 20240107_101645.jpg
    20240107_101645.jpg
    294.7 KB · Views: 80
This lathe was sent to Lewis machinery sales in Los Angeles. Shipped on.jume 7, 1967.

Mike glad you got it. Looking forward to you documenting the cleanup of it.

Cutting oil is my blood.

More info. This lathe has double roller bearings on the fron of the spindel. Spoke with Clausing this morning. I was hoping that they still carried gaskets for the transmission. I'll make my own. They sent me a pdf of the manual now I need to order a printed version. I won't be able to move it home until next week.

Looks like the one I used in at work before the guys ruined it in just a few months . :rolleyes:

Those are very good lathes.
I have the square head 15x50 Colchester marketed by Clausing.
Yours is made in Colchester England.. At least that's what I believe.
Those guys took a lot of pride in their work!!

Know I'm the proud owner of a Clausing 13 in gap bed lathe. Came with lots of tooling. One a 3 jaw chuck. Collet drawbar and Collets. This is the round head geared lathe. 3 hp 3 phase motor. Runs nice and quite. Overall length is 71 inches I think. Ways are nice. Comes with lots of free chips, no salsa.
I invited Tom White who works as a machinst. He likes it too. Biggest thing is a good cleaning. Drain the oil and add fresh Mobile lube. It has 2 gearboxes protected by an oil bath. Came with a turret too that off the machine and I'll never use. Equipped with Collet drawbar and every Collet imagination.
Now my Logan needs to sell and then I can move this in. This is a model 6500.
nice pickup. Great that Tom went, a machinist is someone who knows what they are looking at. Never say never on the turret, if you ever need a lot of a part, it can easily be worth setting it up.

Back